• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Belt Colour Order

b3n

All colors in between are insignificant or at the very least controversial.

I see them as stepping stones.

They are indeed stepping stones, but since these are varying for different orgs, schools and styles, I consider them as controversial and insignificant. What the significant colors are because they are standard and universal colors in martial arts are the two "cornerstones": white (signifying ignorance) and black (signifying mastery). In-between colors are highly arbitrary, controversial and variable, thus insignificant.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When i create my own style and declare myself grandmaster (probably like next thursday or something, since it's my day off), the belt order will go as follows:

brown

orange

second degree orange

blue

camouflage

white

pink (hey, they have no pink font!)

light-ish red (OR light-ish red!!!! :o )

second degree pink

third degree pink

second degree light-ish red

fourth degree pink

fourth degree pink with camouflage stripe

gray (no gray either?!?!)

umber (i guess this'll have to pass for umber . . . but boy will my brown belts be confused!)

puce (that is, once i find out just what the heck puce is . . . and, seriously, they need to do something about this color selection!)

*doesn't matter what color this belt is, as long as it's made of duct tape*

duct tape with pink stripe

second degree blue

fifth degree pink

fifht degree pink with puce stripe

plaid

*this belt is picked randomly from a drawer, with a teal stripe*

black (quality black belts . . . with the cool buckles guys in rodeos get!)

NOTE: stripes running the length of the belt will denote degree as follows:

purple - second degree

red - third degree

puce - fourth degree

red-colored duct tape - fifth degree

plaid - sixth degree

:lol: :lol: :lol:

That's pretty funny!

In our style it's:

white - yellow - green - blue - brown - black

Red is for Sifus/Master's

• 4 months later...

ATA TKD

white

orange

yellow

camoflauge

green

purple

blue

brown

red

red/black

black

Each belt has a meaning that goes with it, so before y'all flame :kaioken: me for the camo belt (:D) , it's when we introduce free sparring, and the philosophy is "The sapling is hidden among the taller pines and must now fight it's way upward."

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

Sensei says, There are only two belts in karate, one is white and the other is black, if you are not one you are other, anythiong else is a multi colored perfect attendance award.

He leaves there mouths open with that one. :lol:

place clever martial arts phrase here

All colors in between are insignificant or at the very What the significant colors are because they are standard and universal colors in martial arts are the two "cornerstones": white (signifying ignorance) and black (signifying mastery). In-between colors are highly arbitrary, controversial and variable, thus insignificant.

Actually the idea of a black belt mastering a martial art isn't totally correct. In most traditional styles a Shodan or 1st degree black belt is considered a beginner. One who has just learned the basics. In Uechi one becomes a Master at 5th Degree Black belt. Until then, you're just a progressing martial artist. Now don't get me wrong, having a black belt means that you've done a lot of work, and unless you study at a McDojo it means you're probably a decent martial artist. But to say you're (or someone) a master isn't right (IMHO)

Sensei says, There are only two belts in karate, one is white and the other is black, if you are not one you are other, anythiong else is a multi colored perfect attendance award.

There's the ring of truth to that... I try not to think about the belts too much. It's hard though since so much is based on that thing wrapped around your waist: where you stand in line, what techniques you work on, with whom you work, etc.

I made the decided that no matter what I've got tied around my middle, I will forever be a black belt in my heart and a white belt in my mind. I think that may be the only way anyone can advance in MA. Or maybe that's just me.

Edited by Spirit At Choice

White belt mind. Black belt heart.

Rejoice and be glad!

A belt only shows your rank in a class. But you determine your rank in the outside world. Choose your rank wisely and dont underestimate people. power is a great thing use it wisley.

e-mail:

one_with_fire_rusioka@yahoo.com

"Now the valiant can fight; the cautious can defend, and the wise counsel. Thus there is none whose talent is wasted."

-Li Ch'uan-

As an instructor, the belts (and even the stripes on the belts) are infinitely valuable. I instantly know where each of my students is in their training, what techniques and forms they need to work on, and which ones they need to learn. I can quickly and effectively pair them up for sparring or assign them to drills.

This is no small task when trying to keep up with 150 students...