• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Question for you kyokushin guys:

SenseiMike

I have total respect for Mas Oyama but I beleive it is only natural for arts to evolve.I went from kyokushin to Muay Thai, and had a real hard time with the superior boxing skills of my opponents.Its not just a matter of striking higher.The whole fighting range is altered. If you think the kihon blocking defences will protect you from a skilled boxer then you're really in trouble.Kyokushin fighters who compete in K1 aren't using just kyokushin.They're incorporating alot of boxing drills into their training.Its a must. If you dont do it then you have a very exploitable weakness.As a serious MArtist I am always looking to transend any weaknesses.Isn't that what true budo is about? Whether its bare flesh against flesh is not whats important.Its the spirit behind your training and your dedication to constant improvement that really matters.

"Today is a good day to die"

Live each day as if it were your last

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I've always kinda looked at basic boxing skills as a vital part of karate. If you look at Mas Oyama fight, you can see he uses quite a lot of close in hand techniques, my favorite is a KD to a much younger student from a ridge hand to the chest, delivered by ducking behind the student when they were in clinch range and wrapping his arm around the guys torso.

I find this as the answer to the students who wish to stay true to karate as well as train to fight:

Gichin Funakoshi precept # 18. Practicing a kata exactly is one thing, engaging in a real fight is another.

Kata contains the technique, but binkai and kumite is what will teach you how to use them.

You can become a great fighter without ever becoming a martial artist, but no sir, you can not become a great martial artist with out becoming a great fighter. To fight is most certainly not the aim of any true martial art, but they are fighting arts all the same. As martial artists, we must stand ready to fight, even if hoping that such conflict never comes.

-My response to a fellow instructor, in a friendly debate