Too nice while sparring???

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey no problem karatekid1975 ... "I wanna be a part of it ... New York, New York" ... oh well 2 hrs away will have to suffice!

Back to subject .... You can gauge yor opponents actions in a spar ... He/she goes hard -- so do you!

i had a laugh the other night cos i just muck around in touch sparring now... this dude was going hard on me and i was just taking it, getting a little annoyed but i didn't wanna show him anything fancy (i haven't told them i've done a martial art before, so basically they think i'm picking up the basics really quickly)... So he comes in with a punch and all of a sudden he's on the floor with my arm around his neck...

i love Jiu Jitsu.

Angus :karate: :up:

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear.

• 4 weeks later...

On 2002-03-21 20:36, TKD_McGee wrote:

Who here has to face that fat guy that is invonerable to punches or being moved..?

dude, trust me i found out recently that noone is impossible to move...my sensei showed me some sweeps that work better on big guys than they do on little guys :smile: you just gotta be able to use that weight against them...

" The art of Kung Fu San Soo lies not in victory or defeat, but in the building of human character." Grand Master Jimmy H. Woo

If you are fighting an opponent that you are afraid you will do serious Van Damage to, take an oppourtunity to work on positioning, footwork and keeping him off balance. It will take your mind off feeling like a wuss for not pummeling him :smile:

Ti-Kwon-Leap

"Annoying the ignorant since 1961"

On 2002-03-29 10:28, shotochem wrote:

I just started to relax and it created opportunities instead me waiting for them. I just stopped looking for the perfect shot and just attacked.

imo, it's not wrong to wait for the perfect shot and explode everything you've got there. actually, i even think it's one of the "concepts" in karate (as they have the saying "1 blow 1 kill"). just make sure that you're in no harm during that time.

i think it's really up to your preference. if you're more of the wait for the right time and counter, and you're good at it, i see no reason why you should try to force yourself to be more aggressive and throw a lot of useless blows (therefore exhausting yourself).

maybe i'm a little biased to this style of fighting (wait-counter) since i'm very fond of it. i'm not good at it, but am constantly practicing on my timing and reflexes.

relaxing in a fight is important, since if you are too stressed, then you'll be slower. hard blows are useless if they're so slow the opponent could easily evade/block it (and counter)..

about the light contact sparring thing, i think it's been covered in another thread. someone said (sorry i can't remember your name :blush: ), the difference between full contact and light/non contact sparring is in the "follow through". while the speed, power and focus is the same. imo, light/non contact sparring works as a method for making you learn how to control yourself. it's easier to hit an opponent full force than knowing when you should pull out.

$.02