• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Too nice while sparring???

Hi guys, I have a rather unusual problem. When I spar I tend to hold back and be too nice in fear of damaging my opponents. I know I take karate and the whole idea is to do damage, but I cant figure iwhy I do this. When I attack the air, target pads, or do pre arranged fighting I turn into a screaming ninja death machine but with my opponents I tend to just block and mildly counter.

Am I the only one?

Alright Angus let me have it Ill hike up my skirt :razz:

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like I've posted before....people think I'm nice cos' I do tend to laugh or smile alot when I spar. :smile: :lol:

When I am paired up with a lower belt I of course take it down a few notches but do show then where they are letting their guard down but not full force contact. When I spar brown and black belts I never hold back ... in fact, at that level we go into spar with verbal agreement whether to head kick or punch (many people aren't into full contact to head and that's understandable) Control is the key ... if you are wearing gear and you show control, no real serious damage can be done ... (maybe some bruised egos though!! :lol: )

KarateForums Sensei

1st dan BlackBelt TKD(ITF)

CardioKickboxing/Fitness Inst.

[ This Message was edited by: KickChick on 2002-03-19 20:23 ]

Personally I think one needs to focus on the purpose of sparring and take advantage of every opportnity to learn.

Do your level best to be as good as you can and fight as strong as you can without causing yourself or your partner injury.

Practise going at 100% effort, like its a do or die thing, but watch your control.

Focus hard and attack with all your power and might. By constantly doing this you will soon have a new habit.

Maybe you could start off with one blow sparring and learn to put all your possible power and might into it. Or try using wooden knives to practise with (one blow sparring) and treat it like real life. A life or death situation.

By practising to focus and commit, it is an acquired thing like everything else.

7th Dan Chidokai

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing

It is very possible to spar with control without holding back. I know that sounds like a contradiction but hear me out. Try sparring at full speed with minimal force. This is possible with focus and practice.

When two tigers fight, one dies and the other is mortally wounded.

I have to do touch sparring now, so my heavy days are over. The way i fight however it is very hard to go full force and do touch sparring (cos i do a lot of thrust kicks and cutting kickboxing techniques).

I used to spar full contact all the freakin' time, and what did it get me? A pending $5000 dental bill, broken noses, cut lips, broken ribs... I know how to fight, and if u know u know how to fight then u can focus on the other things in life i reckon... Go full bore on the pads but don't damage your opponent, after all we all have to go to school/work the next day, we don't wanna be in hospital.

I can see now that my previous training methods (bare knuckle full force/contact) were pretty stupid and may have in some ways damaged my training, but i can take a punch...

Be nice to the person, tell them you're gonna go a bit harder, smile at them and congratulate them when they do something good (like kick u in the face - which i white belt did to me the other day).

Believe it or not there are a lot of people here (particularly women - i don't know why) who are afraid of me. SO i'm gonna try and be nicer, and maybe just do light training.

But anyway, there's no problem with being nice in sparring, just don't let your abilities suffer because of it.

Angus :karate: :up:

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear.

Thanks guys, I guess my problem might be me not trusting my control while attacking as much as when I block. Ill try to loosen up a bit and get a little more agressive. I have no problems getting hit and and am usually fearless in taking a hit. I also lend to no have this problem while sparring the Sensei since I know there is little chance of me injuring him. Guess Im just a head case :eek:

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.

O.k. who's the imposter posting under Angus' name? :lol: :lol: :lol:

shotochem, if you find yourself partnered with someone that you feel might not be able to defend when you let loose, try focusing on the other aspects of sparring. Practice blocking everything, moving in circles and avoiding as much as possible, seeing their body motion and anticipating what attack is coming. Then, you can practice more offense when you're partnered with a more experienced fighter.

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

I think getting hurt is paramount to learning how to fight...

It's not until you take a hook to the jaw, or get kicked in the face do you really learn to put your guard up.

I think when you oponent makes a mistake you should capitalise on it and make them pay, that way they're learning and you're doing them a favour. You're not really doing them a favour by not hitting them.

It takes sacrifice to be the best.

There are always two choices, two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.