• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Keeping a Journal

Superfoot

Does anyone find keeping a journal useful? I read that in keeping a journal or diary of daily events , it makes the "road ahead" seem less daunting, if you are able to reflect on the past. I also was told it's a great idea for noting down workout routines, so you can monitor your progress, as well as your dietary habits. I was thinking of starting. Has anyone found this to be particularly useful?

Perfect Practice makes Perfect.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My jujitsu instructor wants me to. I haven't done it yet. I have never kept a journal of any kind, so that will be interesting (I have lots to say about our first lesson on his front lawn though, that I should write down). I'd like to hear other replies, as well as you, though.

Laurie F

In my karate class everyon keeps a journal although we only write in it at class it helps to realize things in life and from it i have gained a lot more of a positive attitude over the little over a year i have been taking karate. It helps you think and just realize and one of my favorite entries was when i realized life sucks so smile. Also there are a bunch of other things and its also nice to look back and see everything you have written. I mean it can be about anything. I think its a good idea to start one, its really good.

Focus

Why_Worry, good idea. My instructor's wife (a dear friend of mine) told me about one of her previous schools. If you didn't keep a journal, you couldn't test. You could write about anything, but you had to have a journal. I thought that was a cool idea.

Laurie F

• 7 months later...

I have 2.

Journal #1: my semi-private journal. Apparently it's semi-private because my mom reads it when I leave it open. Good thing I don't write REALLY private stuff in it then.

Journal #2: my exercise logbook-journal type thingy (seriously, that's what I really call it! :D ) that my instructor got me to start doing.

And journal #2 is VERY helpful for me, TKD-wise.

If you're not laughin', you're not livin'!--Carlos Mencia

I have kept a training journal for the past 4 years. It has been a good training tool. I usually come home after a class and write something down. It is especially helpful with forms. By writing it down, you have to replay it in your mind, think about it, and then express it in words. The more senses you use, the higher the possibility for retention. Later you can refer back to it to help refresh your memory or remember concepts that have "slipped your mind". :D

I had to lose my mind to come to my senses.

I kept journals (including kata movements) years ago. Now, when I want to reflect back on it I can't find it. A journal is an excellent idea. Just keep it somewhere so that years from now when you need to find it you can :D

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit because I have seen footprints on the moon!" -- Paul Brandt

I've never had a training journal,though I do keep a privet one.I find that some time when you have strong emotions that you connot talk to anyone about getting them onto paper is extreemly helpful.And it is good to be able to look back and read about little details in your life that you would have otherwise forgotten.

God has not given us a spirit of fear, but a spirit of love, a spirit of power, and of self-discipline.

2 Timothy 1:7

In my system, we are required to keep a journal of the techniques that we know, forms, etc. I've found that it has helped me a lot in fine-tuning.

You suck-train harder.......................Don't block with your face

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.

-Lao Tzu

I keep a kind of loose journal. I record promotion dates, tournament happenings, combo's that I find particularly useful, exercises, and general thoughts on my progress. It's not a regular thing though, just when something is noteworthy enought to write about.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1