• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Notable Kyokushin Kumite Competitors

Superfoot

Who do you think of, with regards to knockdown fighting ,is a notable figure in martial arts. Please state the persons name, and any notable techniques they may have used in competition. Add anything else you wish to as well. This thread is for the people interested in who to look for regarding notable fighters of Kyokushin, or any other styles who may have participated in Knockdown. If I have missed anything, let me know.

I'll start:

Danny Tiger Schulmann:

-Was North-American Mas Oyama Knockdown Knockdown Karate Champion from 1979-1984. He also represented the United States in 1975 in the 1st World Open Karate Tournament.

- Founder of United American Karate

-Noted for his kicks, especially the use of the Back Round Kick (Ushiro Mawashi Geri)

Hatsuo Royama:

Born in 1948, Sensei Royama trained in the original Oyama Dojo and achieved his black belt at the age of 19. After some time acting as head instructor, Sensei Royama left Kyokushin to become a kickboxer, during which time he picked up the use ot the Thai-style Low Kick. Using this devastating technique, Royama fought his way through the ranks during the 1st World Open Karate Tournament in 1975 to place second.

He is noted for his use of powerful low-kicks

Perfect Practice makes Perfect.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Nice list , I will add

Kenji Midori , head of the IKO2 , 1991 world champion , one of the best technical fighters that have ever lived

Fransisco Filho , kyokushin world champion and k-1 legend , extreme fighting machine .

Moon might shine upon the innocent and the guilty alike

Anyone? This thread continues to resurface excessively but without response. Allow me to thank Y2_Sub for his response.

New Additions:

Ryu Narushima:

Born in 1968, one of the senior instructors at the Kyokushinkai Honbu Dojo. Reknowned for his tremendous speed, power and ability to tactically generate strategies to knockout/down opponents.

Norichika Tsukamoto:

A 5th dan black belt, Tsukamoto is well known for his "Maha-Geri" a roundhouse kick which descends upon the opponent, as well as his Rolling Axe Kick, which he uses many times. Trains with IKO2 (Shinkyokushin).

Perfect Practice makes Perfect.

• 4 weeks later...

Ademir Da Costa - From Brazil - trained under Shihan Isobe and fought at the 3rd and 4th World Tournaments. His fight against Michel Wedel of Holland was one of the best of the tournament. I think he now has his own style called Seiwaki.

Michael Thompson - for a heavyweight his speed and footwork were amazing as seen in the 1987 world tournament fight against Kenji Midori. Midori seemed surprised at Thompsons speed and agility.

I will endeavour to add some more over time - this is an excellent thread.

Osu!

Why is it, when all is said and done, that more is said than done - John Fitzgerald Kennedy