a puncher versus a grappler...for you UFC/Pride and mma guys

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty much. Even regular BJJ isn't working to well in MMA. Submission % is going down, do to better submission defenses and take down defenses.

Times change

In comparison with 10 years ago, you are correct.

If you want to speak of late, say in the past few years, submissions are in fact becoming more and more frequent

Overall Finishing Method Statistics

Percentage Submission = 46.44

Percentage KO/TKO = 27.63

Percentage Decision = 18.18

Other (Drawn, NCs, or Unknown) = 7.75

Karate, those are statistics from the sherdog website

http://www.sherdog.com/stats/fightendings_ratio.htm

Armbars work fine in "the street" as well. Common sense would have it that I may not want to fight on the ground when there are numerous people involved. Common sense should have that you dont want to fight PERIOD when you're outnumbered. Whether the fight takes place on the ground or the feet, you're going to be at a great disadvantage.

Hello,

As it was mentioned, rolling around with someone with friends their to back him up isn't a great idea, but we are talking about the UFC and MMA events. Obviously grappling has proven itself effective in the ring. But it has its place on the street as well.

McNerny :)

A good technique is beautiful but a beautiful technique is not always good.

-Hirokazu Kanazawa

• 2 weeks later...

Where the hell do you come from in Ontario to have so many fights!!! When I read I thought you vame from Philly or something! This being said I agree with you entirely, it really depends on the situation. You could be in an open field while fighting someone one on one, or you could be in a crowded metro station where someone just jumps you with his friends behind, etc. So to say that one MA is the best in every situation is wrong. Some might be more effective in certain situations but not in others.

It seems to me there is a lot of theory of street-fighting going on here.

Armbarring someone for instance is fine in the Abu Dubai but not so good if outside a pub and he/she has friends willing to help.

Better to keep yourself standing and opponent grounded.

depends on the situation. People always assume there is broken glass on the ground and that the guy has 8 buddies with him. It's not always the case. matter of factly, this past saturday, one of my fellow bouncers (my second job) took a guy down and mounted him to control him. sometimes, going to the ground is actually the BEST option.