• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

finding a JJ or BJJ dojo...

I want to get into MMA, and i've wrestled for 12 years (2x state 2nd place in NY in 160lb division)

I love grappling and want to learn guard techniques and such.

I live in Auburn, NY, which is 35 minutes West of Syracuse.

I can't seem to find any place that offers JJ.

Anyone know of anything?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Not that I'm a BJJ expert (I'm not, cause I posted with a newbie question here just the other day) - but I have heard that there is a pretty big amount of crossover between BJJ and Judo.

Maybe you could expand your search to include Judo. I bet you could find some sort of Judo club close by if you can't find BJJ - it is very common (and usually quite inexpensive).

thats quite a good idea dbrillha have a look a hapkido i think that might be for you moneygqj

Hapkido wouldent be very ideal for a wrestler wanting to learn to use the guard.

Judo can have good grappling but most schools here in the US will focus on takedowns/thorws and pins...something that he will already have from wrestling.

TJS - I agree with what you said.

But if the original poster can't find BJJ, I'd say Judo is the next best choice. Hapkido and Japanese Ju-jitsu would probably be less of what you are looking for, but if there is no BJJ or Judo...

I don't know much about sambo , but from what i've heard it's very similar to BJJ , and it's rooted in kodokan judo just like BJJ , so why would it be the next thing to look for ( I am asking not arguing )??

Moon might shine upon the innocent and the guilty alike

Sambo is essentially Russian Judo. They wear the kimono tops with shorts rather than pants (this is to encourage wrestling style takedowns as well as throws).

Aside from that, main differences are that in Sambo,

chokes are not allowed (though armlocks and footlocks are- Sambo is very popular for its kneelocks and footlocks.)

Guard does not stop a pin. In Judo, you must get cross side before the pin count starts. In Sambo, the count starts whenever you're on your back, regardless of the position.