• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Shotokan - Dead End

jion

hey if you get that book by ian abernathy..bunkai jutsu, let me know your thoughts on it. It opened som new ideas for me personally. Good luck with your training.

"The wise and successsful will always be met with violent opposition by mediocre minds."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aww, sux to heard that Mas Oyama didn't sign for you. If I was in your position I would've be disappoint too.

I'll second that , in the other hand , you had the chance to c a legend , I wish i was in your place :D

Moon might shine upon the innocent and the guilty alike

I'll second that , in the other hand , you had the chance to c a legend , I wish i was in your place

His accomplishments are still the same, and one thing I learned was even legends are human! I love Kyokushin and how Oyama took karate to a new level. Osu!

Life is not measure in how many breaths you take, but many moments take your breath away

At my school we dont actualyl hit each other unles sit is blocking drills where the person fails to block cause we go through them but we do repetitive katas and all that stuff. But one time we were doing bunkai and we did this one kata were we had the whole class which was about 15 people attack one person for the kata and then we decided to just attack randomaly and try to hit the person in the middle and the kata doesnt matter and that was the only time we ever did that, but my senseis sensei was there and he was a 4rth dan but he had been practicing wado ryu karate for probably like 40 years just its complicated, just no one is able to get past 4rth dan because of lots of stuff and complicated stuff but the whole class tried to attack him all at once and peopel were jumping on him and stuff but no one could realyl hit him and we were all like "that is so unfair....for them!" So if you just do repitition over and over agian you will eventually become realyl good but you have to make sure you accept the spiritual side of the arts as well and if you are looking for a new art but one that isnt really very different than yours try out wado ryu, it has a little bit of jujitsu incoporated but shotokan as well and dodging. It is usually somewhat spiritual because wado ryu means the peaceful way. Well good luck with whatever you do.

Focus

It seems to me you are generelising the schools of shotokan ,if you are not getting what you want from your school then look somewhere else ,as a shotokan student for 20 years I am very satisfied with the instruction I have had and feel very privilaged to be taught by my instructer ,even after all these years he can still show a new aproach in a kata like hien shodan that amaze us and open our eyes to a diferrent aproach of looking at it ! there is nothing wrong with cross training once you have got the fundementals right ,but if things don't work the way you want ,don't blame shotokan but look else where for the problem . :roll:

I suppose you can say this for shotokan and other styles and compare them to wines ! there are types of grapes like chardonnay but the quality can be very diferrent ,you can pay £5 for a bottle of chardonnay or £100s ,so can you say the £5 chardonnay is the same quality as the £100 one ?

never give up !

I am generalizing Shotokan, but only to prove a point. It's when I go to open-style seminars there's quite a bit of "Shotokan-bashing". And when I take a look at the bigger picture, some of those thugs (those who bash Shotokan) have a point, to a certain degree. You only need to read 24fc's website and see it's worldwide. (I know from experience that it is, I've trained in Australia, Germany and Sweden).

I came to the stage where I was not really burnt out, I love Shotokan, but during this thread I rediscovered Shotokan. Lately I've been doing nothing but disecting katas. I'm determined to find as many applications for shuto uke as possible. I've showed some people some techniques I've picked up from around the net.

Of course there are other Shotokan schools, most of the them are similar in a way. And it's those schools I'm challenging to think out of the box. But actually I'm challenging myself to think out of the box.

I realised even though I could pull off a really cool Jion, I could not find real-life applications for all of the techniques. And even if I could, I never applied most of them in real life fighting situations.

Right now I'm at the point where Shotokan is really exciting again, I don't need to look at jujitsu and think "Wow, cool locks, wish we did more of that"...now I just look in the kata. :) now I just take training and go home., and that's where the magic starts!

Life is not measure in how many breaths you take, but many moments take your breath away

I know what you mean.There is infinity of bunkai in the katas that you can look and discover by yourself. Look all possibilities in a technique of the kata. Take a movement in a kata a try to discover any technique possible in it. Experiment and explore. Anything can happen. I think that's your next level. Good Luck.

I am generalizing Shotokan, but only to prove a point. It's when I go to open-style seminars there's quite a bit of "Shotokan-bashing". And when I take a look at the bigger picture, some of those thugs (those who bash Shotokan) have a point, to a certain degree. You only need to read 24fc's website and see it's worldwide. (I know from experience that it is, I've trained in Australia, Germany and Sweden).

I came to the stage where I was not really burnt out, I love Shotokan, but during this thread I rediscovered Shotokan. Lately I've been doing nothing but disecting katas. I'm determined to find as many applications for shuto uke as possible. I've showed some people some techniques I've picked up from around the net.

Of course there are other Shotokan schools, most of the them are similar in a way. And it's those schools I'm challenging to think out of the box. But actually I'm challenging myself to think out of the box.

I realised even though I could pull off a really cool Jion, I could not find real-life applications for all of the techniques. And even if I could, I never applied most of them in real life fighting situations.

Right now I'm at the point where Shotokan is really exciting again, I don't need to look at jujitsu and think "Wow, cool locks, wish we did more of that"...now I just look in the kata. :) now I just take training and go home., and that's where the magic starts!

Dear jion ,I see the point you are making and to certain extent I agree with you ,those who bash shotokan can not see further than their nose !

the problem is that shotokan is the most popular style and its growth has watered down the quality as so many self claimed masters with only a minimal exposure to the art start teaching ,and to the novice who only look at their flashy certificate and bleached belts they seem like the ultimate ,they do the most damage to the style ,this exist with other styles as well .in the last few weeks Eurosport has been showing kyokoshinkaie competition and this looked liked anything but karate !

compare this to JKA one ippon cometition and one can draw the conclusion .let the bashers of shotokan expose their complexes by bashing shotokan ,when it comes to the crunch you know what works and what doesen't !!

Having sais that there are other styles of karate that work very well when tauhgt properly by a bonofied instructers just like shotokan .

your's in shotokan

OSS !

never give up !

I know what you mean about Shotokan bashing believe me. You have to understand tho, As far as Mcdojo's go, Shotokan and Wado suffer from them the most in the karate world. TKD has by far the most of all, but some would go as far as to argue that TKD is mcstyle itself.

I was once at a seminar in which a younger Isshinryu instructor kept making rude remarks about Shotokan, I chalenged him to a quick match, and just piled on the throws. Two minutes passed with out him ever being able to stand on his feet :karate:

You can become a great fighter without ever becoming a martial artist, but no sir, you can not become a great martial artist with out becoming a great fighter. To fight is most certainly not the aim of any true martial art, but they are fighting arts all the same. As martial artists, we must stand ready to fight, even if hoping that such conflict never comes.

-My response to a fellow instructor, in a friendly debate