• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

how to get into MMA and picking a discipline (martial art)..

Let me preface this by saying I'm 22 years old and just graduated college 4 months ago with in engineering and have a solid job.

I wrestled for 12 years and finished 2nd in NY state in wresting two years in a row in the 160lb division.

I want to get into MMA, whether that be just for fun or as an amature.

I have no martical arts or boxing experience.

I went to a kickboxing class last Thursday, but it turned out to be cardio boxing. I love how they advertise it as kickboxing and bag technique.

Anyways, yesterday, Saturday, I went to a Karate class (not sure what style) and tried it out. While I had a good time I don't see where it would help me in my desire to get into MMA. I searched the yellow pages and the internet for muay thai, kickboxing, judo, or anything else in my area and there is nothing but Karate.

So should I stay with the Karate? Maybe it is practical for further learning to help me get into MMA.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

If you're in New York, you shouldnt have any problem finding at least one of the following:

Judo

BJJ

Boxing

Muay Thai

The big question is where exactly in New York are you? Give us a city, and rough indication of where you are. New York is a large state, so these can help us slim down your options.

With a strong wrestling background you need to learn how to hit people, and get hit in return.

A group that trains MMA is the best bet... providing they are good at it.

If that is a no-go look for Boxing or Muay Thai is also a good bet.

SInce you mentioned Muay Thai, did you try looking for a Boxing gym? Most cities have at least one pro/am boxing gym... If there are no full tiem commercial gyms there might be a smaller group training out of a Community center or YMCA.

Still nothing, Well, I'm not sure exactly how things are set up down there up in Canada we have a National Sports Association, and under that provincial ones. And they would be able to point me too any boxing gyms that compete under them. CHances are your State has something similar.

Andrew Green

http://innovativema.ca - All the top martial arts news!

where is your location? are you near white plains, the city, any place like that? whats the name of oyur city and area.

Im brasilian, but live in the united states. Really enjoying martial arts.

What karate style ?? If it's a traditional point sparring karate system , it won't help you with your MMA quest

Moon might shine upon the innocent and the guilty alike

You have some pretty good grappling experience having wrestled for 12 years.... You could learn some BJJ really fast and be a seriously dangerous grappler (and apparently ground n pounder.)

It sure wouldn't hurt to have some striking skill, for which there is no better than muay thai or boxing. They're the best strikers in the world, and anything else will almost surely be wasting your time.

Muay thai and Boxing are only the best strikers because of heavy specialization and very hard training regimes. Kyokushin karate stylists often train as hard and end up doing well in such matches. On occasion people turn up who train at a similar intensity in some other art. They seem to do about as well as would statistically be expected.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

• 2 months later...