• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Do you regrip?

Skeptic 2004

Do you adjust your grip to keep a tight fist at all times?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Do you adjust your grip to keep a tight fist at all times?

• Yes, we've been taught to keep a tight fist for all closed hand techniques (Yes)
    • What the heck are you talking about? You're supposed to be loose all over until impact! (No)
    • Chibana, Ohtsuka, and Motobu? Who are these guys? (Huh?)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was always taught to keep a tight fist throughout the whole punch, but I know that is not the way the okinawan masters did it. Their philosophy was to be loose and relaxed until impact - thats how they can send you flying across the room with a finger.

In general, especially for katas, wherever a fist is to be made, it should be tight. For other techniques, however, it's not necessary, like when you're shadowboxing or something, where you're in more of a natural stance and therefore, more relaxed overall.

Kool Kiais: ICE! DIE! KITES! DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHHHHHH! KIAI!

"Know Thyself"

"Circumstances make me who I am."

Allowing muscles to be relaxed before execution of strike, provides quick strikes from point A to point B. If you are tight and muscled through the technique, you will be slower in your execution. Tightening just before impact will still provide a powerful strike, block, kick.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

When sparring we are taught to have front hand open, other hand closed. The reason for this is so that you have the added avantage of being able to grab with the front hand. The other hand should be closed ready to fire the gyak.