• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Why boxing stance is different from ancient time?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

^ really wow im shocked that seems so stupid.

Strive to Become The Type Of Person That Others Do Not Normally Encounter In This World

I would love it if everyone i spoke to or met throughout my life would benefit from being with or speaking to me. - Life goal

I See The Sunshine But Their's A Storm Holding Me Back.

Think about this- until the 19-somethigns (I want to say 40s???) there was no such thing as the jab. No one did it. Can you imagine boxing without a jab!?

Having seen old texts from as far back as the 18th century which discuss how to throw a jab, I'd say you're mistaken.

Andrew Green

http://innovativema.ca - All the top martial arts news!

Boxing has been around for a long time (including the jab!), it was first used (as the form of boxing we know today) by the British army back in the 17th/18th centuary as a way of toughing up the soldiers and also to settle disputes.

"When my enemy contracts I expand and when he expands I contract" - Bruce Lee

• 2 weeks later...

Think about this- until the 19-somethigns (I want to say 40s???) there was no such thing as the jab. No one did it. Can you imagine boxing without a jab!?

Having seen old texts from as far back as the 18th century which discuss how to throw a jab, I'd say you're mistaken.

Well I don't know anything about that, but I know you never really saw a jab in the early 1900's. And even after invented they sure didn't use it like they do today.

Why did they change the way they do the high jump? Becuase over time they discovered a new way to do it that was better. Same thing here.

"When my enemy contracts I expand and when he expands I contract" - Bruce Lee

• 2 weeks later...

My coach told me when I first started boxing, many moons ago, that they used to drag there back leg around. They kept it sideways so that when they threw the cross, it would be with ultimate torch of the body. It was very immobile though, so the sport evolved to being "faster on your feet." So now we point our rear toe toward our opponent, heels off the ground.

I only do this in punching range. I prefer the Muay Thai stance in kicking range. I use the one where my rear leg is at a 45% angle.

Justfulwardog

By daily dying I have come to be. ~Theodore Roethke

Each forward step we take we leave some phantom of ourselves behind. ~John Lancaster Spalding