• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

is tai chi a grapple or strikeing style

True Taiji Fajin, it is wise to know before you make judgements of Taijiquan teachers. Chen Zhonghua happens to be one of the best Chen style taijiquan instructors in North America. Another good Chen style teacher is Ren Guangyi: https://www.renguangyi.com

By reading the information in their websites you will only know who their teachers are/were. If you want to know if they are for real, you need to meet them personally and train with them.

The Hammer

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By reading the information in their websites you will only know who their teachers are/were. If you want to know if they are for real, you need to meet them personally and train with them.

VERY true. That is the problem. A student could be in the back of my class for a week, get little interaction with me, and come away saying I was his instructor. Or worse, never attend my class and lie about it, hoping I never saw it (NOT that I am good enough for people to try and do this!). The only way is to meet them, or another alternative is someone you highly trust to judge skill / character to have met them. I've seen the website, but that isn't enough for me to say he's one of the best, or that he's "real." I can make some judgements looking at it, and there are things you can tell, clues that I can / have picked up, but it is better to meet in person.

Fetch Daddy's blue fright wig! I must be handsome when I unleash my rage.

In terms of Tai Chi I think only the Chen style is taught as martial art today and I think only the Chen style is effectie enough as a fighting art, people practice the Yang and Wu style only to improve their health.

training.

I don't want to start an argument, but I take issue with the fact that only Chen style is effective as a fighting art. I study Yang style from a Tai Chi master who has mastered all 5 arts. He is very proficient at the Yang style and I have the bruises to prove its combat effectiveness. The Yangs were excellent fighters. Yang style Tai Chi, (when taught as a martail art) is an excellent form of self defence. (provided you have an instructor that will teach you the art as a fighting style). Yang style is a VERY effective fighting style and when one understands how to use it, they would definently be a force to reckon with.

"The journey of a 1,000 miles starts with but a single step."

Fajin:

I agree with your comments about Yang Style.

About Chen Zhonghua, he was a disciple (inside student) of Hong Junshen (he passed away) and is a disciple of Feng Zhiqiang.

Ren Guangyi is a disciple of Chen Xiaowang.

Another good Chen Style teacher, Yang Yang, is also a discliple of Feng Zhiqiang.

You should try to check the different workshops and seminars offered by these teachers. Is a good way to begin serious Chen Style training. If you are currently doing Yang Style and you have a good teacher that knows the practical applications of the art, keep doing it! Of course, this doesn't mean you shouln't do research into other styles.

The Hammer

Fajin:

I agree with your comments about Yang Style.

About Chen Zhonghua, he was a disciple (inside student) of Hong Junshen (he passed away) and is a disciple of Feng Zhiqiang.

Ren Guangyi is a disciple of Chen Xiaowang.

Another good Chen Style teacher, Yang Yang, is also a discliple of Feng Zhiqiang.

You should try to check the different workshops and seminars offered by these teachers. Is a good way to begin serious Chen Style training. If you are currently doing Yang Style and you have a good teacher that knows the practical applications of the art, keep doing it! Of course, this doesn't mean you shouln't do research into other styles.

I'm currently doing Hunyuan Chen style, not Yang. I'm not sure what you agree with in regards to my comments on Yang style, because the only thing I can find that I said about Yang style is "Any style of taiji, if taught correctly, can be used as a martial art."

I find it interesting that you mention Yang Yang as well :). Earlier, when I said "A quote I really like from my new favorite book . . ." I was quoting Yang Yang's new book!

Fetch Daddy's blue fright wig! I must be handsome when I unleash my rage.

I train with GM Kongjie Gou and Master Liming Yue of the Chen Tai Chi Centre. There are 'real' Tai Chi teachers out there, same as there are 'real' Kung Fu teachers.

Often, though, people who train in Tai Chi don't know the difference between 'real', martial Tai Chi and some fake copy of Tai Chi that an instructor has learned on a week-end course...

It is often only those who are already martial artists who understand that Tai Chi is much more than just beneficial for health. Too often Joe Public trains in a Tai Chi class but doesn't realise that there is much more to TC that what they are actually learning and practicing.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Agreed, and the irony seems to be that if you take the Tai Chi that is taught solely for health improvement you are less likely to improve your health then if you were studying Tai Chi in a complete way which of course includes the martial aspects.

KungFuMan

Only time and commitment will make your Traditional "style" good and give you real knowledge.

"Marry" your chosen system as opposed to just flirting with it.

Make it your partner for life and you will see how well and how complete it really is.