• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

is tai chi a grapple or strikeing style

Tai Chi contains both striking and grappling (chi na) techniques. Tai Chi is different in that it doesn't focus on "blocks" or "combinations" of punches and kicks. A Tai Chi practicioner learns a form (either Yang, Chen, Wu, Sun etc.) and then works on polishing the form. the martial aspects of Tai Chi are found in the form, (ie: ward off can be used to block someone trying to grab you.) I would not say it is a "grappling" (on the ground) art, but it has aspects of both in it. My school still teaches Tai Chi as a martial art and it can be quite effective when taught to be.

"The journey of a 1,000 miles starts with but a single step."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tai Chi contains both striking and grappling (chi na) techniques. Tai Chi is different in that it doesn't focus on "blocks" or "combinations" of punches and kicks. A Tai Chi practicioner learns a form (either Yang, Chen, Wu, Sun etc.) and then works on polishing the form. the martial aspects of Tai Chi are found in the form, (ie: ward off can be used to block someone trying to grab you.) I would not say it is a "grappling" (on the ground) art, but it has aspects of both in it. My school still teaches Tai Chi as a martial art and it can be quite effective when taught to be.
Totally agree with dtstiachi. Yes, taijiquan is a complete martial art that can be used for real combat. On the other hand, there are many taichi "instructors" who don't know the real practical applications of the art.

https://www.chenzhonghua.com

The Hammer

I agree aswell.

REAL Tai Chi is a complete art. Therefore it combines everything, striking, grappeling, locks etc...

No need for cross training.

Hand to hand, heart to heart

If you don't come, i will not start

But if you start, i will arive first

And hit you continuiously untill i see red.

Agreed. When it comes to Tai Chi - as well as some of the other major kung fu -systems there is no need to cross train.

Only time and commitment will make your Traditional "style" good and give you real knowledge.

"Marry" your chosen system as opposed to just flirting with it.

Make it your partner for life and you will see how well and how complete it really is.

In terms of Tai Chi I think only the Chen style is taught as martial art today and I think only the Chen style is effectie enough as a fighting art, people practice the Yang and Wu style only to improve their health.

I have never ever seen anyone could use Bagua effective in a real fight, I personally doubt it's fighting ability but never the less it's still a great art other than for fighting.

Xingyi is quite different from other internal art it's that it's pretty "hard" for an internal style. Xingyi is definitely an effective fighting style and I am sure that a Xingyi student will do will on the street if he has enough training.

I agree aswell.

REAL Tai Chi is a complete art. Therefore it combines everything, striking, grappeling, locks etc...

No need for cross training.

I disagree, but I digress. the question though, is how likely is a person to actually find this REAL taiji? it's definitely out there, but I'm betting few and far between.

wow, several side topics in this thread.

For the main point: Taiji is not just striking and blocking, though it does have those.

Other points:

Taiji can be used as self defense before it is "complete." Some people have seen all the forms, push hands, etc, and would still be useless in a fight. A quote I really like from my new favorite book is "Lian quan bu lian gong, dao lao yi chang kong." It is translated (not word for word) as "Even if you practice your whole life, if you do not practice gong, your art will be empty." Seeing all the forms, push hands, etc, don't make you able to use them, just as someone seeing all the strikes, kicks, etc in another art doesn't mean that the person can use them. If you truly understand the art, any movement can be done as taiji movement.

Taiji does not require an absurd amount of time to teach you how to fight. While I admit that (at FIRST) your fighting skill develops slower, it can still be developed "quickly." If you have spent 2 or 3 years on taiji, and it has not greatly improved your ability, you are either not being shown it correctly (could be for multiple reasons that the instructor has, to get money, he doesn't think you should get it, etc), or you are not practicing hard enough. On the other hand, though, I don't think anyone has gone to 4 months of a "hard" style and come out a master fighter.

Any style of taiji, if taught correctly, can be used as a martial art. As for Bagua, while I have never seen it in person (how I want to find a bagua master near me!) a person I greatly respect is now taking bagua and vouches for its ability to be used in a fight. I trust his word.

Is cross training "needed"? No. But it can help (or hinder, depending on your other m.a.)

chen zhonghua. ... ... I need to get back to you guys on him before I comment and get my foot stuck in my mouth. Right now he could be many different things, but that's because of my lack of information about him, just what's on his webpages.

Yes, unfortunately it is hard to find someone real today :(. I hate how easy it is for people to teach "fake" taiji. Those who just want to make some money. Sigh.

Anyways, back to chess with my friend. Still working on convincing him to play Go instead.

Fetch Daddy's blue fright wig! I must be handsome when I unleash my rage.

I think it has many aspects of fighting within it's styles, most chinese systems I've encountered are more compehensive than just, striking...grappling, theres more to it...

"One of the lessons of history is that nothing is often a good thing to do and always a clever thing to say."

- Will Durant

Sevenstar,

REAL taiji is out there just like REAL kungfu. To find it one must first look for it, and do this with the right attitude. Obviously not every town and city in the U.S. or Europe is going to have a resident Tai Chi or for that matter a kungfu master (not real ones anyway).

You are correct in implying that there are not many around but those who look hard enough will find them. And it is worth the effort because there are many rewards for those who do, and of course I am not talking about tournament trophies.

KungFuMan

Only time and commitment will make your Traditional "style" good and give you real knowledge.

"Marry" your chosen system as opposed to just flirting with it.

Make it your partner for life and you will see how well and how complete it really is.