• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Anyways,so what you guys are saying is that people shouldn't train in more than one style untill it is fully mastered?

That is not at all what i was saying. I was mostly referring to the initial poster's query about changing 'one or two things.'

The problem is not that of studying multiple systems, but of modifying what you have 'just' learned to accommodate the mix of styles you have 'tried' before you even have a firm grasp of the material presented, before you have mastered the basics. That is, after all, what a black belt/sash is supposed to represent... a mastery of the basics.

And while not all systems present belts/sashes as rank, there still lies a point where it is rather clear you have a firm grasp of the basics presented in a system, be it boxing, wrestling, savate, escrima, etc. To study 6 months of this system, 3 months of that, a seminar or two... and have no basis, no core system to reference, is to leave yourself immense gaps in your understanding, and thus an inherent handicap in your learning process.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What i'm saying is that you study one art, because it's more than just punches and kicks, it's a structure, a while unified set of principles of movement. Once you've mastered that underlying structure, then you can look into how to make your frame you've built have features and options you might not have learned before. If you just go try to learn lots of stuff at once, you can throw punches or kicks, but there's no foundation, no underlying structure, so everything you do has a 'weak link' in it.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

Justice Zero is correct, and to add to that, I'll go one further and say if you're taking in a system with any history and/or depth at all, you'll see that even by getting a black belt you haven't "mastered" the system. THIS is why people say you should master one art before starting another. If you did that, you'd probably never change styles or systems. There wouldn't be a need to.

But it also has to do with motivation. Why are you taking martial arts? If you just want to learn how to fight you'll have a much different path than someone that ones to truly master or come close to mastering a specific martial art.

The mastery of a style is about mastering your self. The style you chose is your vechicle to that mastery.All roads lead to a single truth.
that last part sounds deep :) ,but what about the people that have mastered more than one style?
https://www.samuraimartialsports.com for your source of Karate,Kobudo,Aikido,And Kung-Fu