• advertisement_alt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kajukenbopr gave a excellent explanation for the "why" Kajukenbo was founded.

One also has to understand the circumstances of the people,times, and place.

The founders themselves were young men in their 20's. A age when young men are more interested in the fighting aspects of martial arts, then the philosophical parts of the arts.

Hawaii in the 40's-50's is a place full of servicemen, some looking for any reason to fight. Hawaii is also a cultural melting pot with immigrants from mainland America, China, Japan, Okinawa, Philipines, Korea, Samoa, Indonesia, and other places. This is a double edged sword. ln that there is a richness of martial arts found no where else in the world. But also in some cases there is racial tension which leads to hostility and fighting.

The founders were men of differant races, who became great friends and shared their martial arts knowledge with each other. Adriano Emperado and Frank Ordanez were of Filipino descent. Peter Y.Y. Choo was of Korean descent. George "Clarence" Chang was Chinese. And Joe Holck was of Japanese descent (his true name was Joichi Matsuno, but he changed it after the bombing of Pearl Harbor caused anti-Japanese sentiments.).

They basically wanted to design the most complete self defense system they could, by mixing techniques from 7 fighting systems. ("Kajukenbo" is named for the five main arts of the founders, but it also contains some techniques from escrima and western boxing).

yes, I left that part out, I didnt go too in-depth.

thanks for correcting me... once again :P

<> Be humble, train hard, fight dirty

Thanks for the cultural info and links. I'm interested in finding out more about your style. I think I read on the sight I visited that one of the founders studied Danzan Ryu Aikijitsu. I've studied some online literature about that style and there are some mentions of bokkendo. They don't say much.

I've been trying to find information on Bokkendo (Bokendo), which I am a 5th dan in. I realize that there may be different systems using that name. If you have any info, I would be greatful.

As far as I know, my instructor had no written history and what I have is what he told me. He passed away several years ago. I'm the only person I know who is actively practicing the system I was taught.

P.S. You should be able to email me. I placed my address in my profile.

I think you are confusing it with KodenKan Danzan Ruy (Judo)

hold on to any info you have by yourself, could be really valuable in the future

yes, I left that part out, I didnt go too in-depth.

thanks for correcting me... once again :P

Sorry if it looked like I was correcting you. There was nothing incorrect in your description.

I was just adding a little more information for those not familiar with our art.

Thanks for the cultural info and links. I'm interested in finding out more about your style. I think I read on the sight I visited that one of the founders studied Danzan Ryu Aikijitsu. I've studied some online literature about that style and there are some mentions of bokkendo. They don't say much.

I've been trying to find information on Bokkendo (Bokendo), which I am a 5th dan in. I realize that there may be different systems using that name. If you have any info, I would be greatful.

As far as I know, my instructor had no written history and what I have is what he told me. He passed away several years ago. I'm the only person I know who is actively practicing the system I was taught.

P.S. You should be able to email me. I placed my address in my profile.

I think you are confusing it with KodenKan Danzan Ruy (Judo)

hold on to any info you have by yourself, could be really valuable in the future

Your probably correct. Is KodenKan Danzan Ruy (Judo) what one of the founders of Kajukenbo studied?

Your probably correct. Is KodenKan Danzan Ruy (Judo) what one of the founders of Kajukenbo studied?

To be more precise, the Okazaki Dojo was called the "Kodenkan". There Henry Okazaki taught both "Danzan Ryu Jujitsu" and "Kodokan Judo".

Kajukenbo founder, "Joe Holck" received black belts in both of those arts from Sig Kufferath (Okazaki student). Kajukenbo founder, "Frank Ordanez" also trained with one of Okazaki's students, Sam Luke.

is it wrong or a bad idea to take techniques and mix them together tofit your own personal needs?? even if you change one or two things ?

The principles & philosophy of the style must first be understood. In that way any alterations you make will still fit within the framework of your chosen martial art. Eventually the style you practice will become your own interpretation & expression. I like to use the example of how you were taught how to write the letters of the alphabet. In the begining you are taught specifically how to move the pencil - remember those writing books with the arrows directing how to draw the letters. A very rigid process until you learned the skill. It's the same with your martial art training you need to master the basics so you have something to fight with & a solid foundation to build upon.

I could ramble on but I'll stop here :D

Some of the stuff i found online was about a guy I think by the name of John Monterro. From what i read it sounds like a well developed and rounded art that includes restorative (healing)massage. Thats something i'v been interested in for a long time but haven't had the chance to get exposure cause there no one near me who has the knowledge. learned some from books and found out they have some courses at the university here that i may try to attend in the future.

I'm pretty sure we're talking about the same school(art). If i remember correctly Okazaki was the founder and was i Hawaii.

Thanks for the wealth of information. Keep it coming.

is it wrong or a bad idea to take techniques and mix them together tofit your own personal needs?? even if you change one or two things ?

The principles & philosophy of the style must first be understood. In that way any alterations you make will still fit within the framework of your chosen martial art. Eventually the style you practice will become your own interpretation & expression. I like to use the example of how you were taught how to write the letters of the alphabet. In the begining you are taught specifically how to move the pencil - remember those writing books with the arrows directing how to draw the letters. A very rigid process until you learned the skill. It's the same with your martial art training you need to master the basics so you have something to fight with & a solid foundation to build upon.

I could ramble on but I'll stop here :D

thanks for that analogy. i think you hit the nail on the head

To be more precise, the Okazaki Dojo was called the "Kodenkan". There Henry Okazaki taught both "Danzan Ryu Jujitsu" and "Kodokan Judo".

Kajukenbo founder, "Joe Holck" received black belts in both of those arts from Sig Kufferath (Okazaki student). Kajukenbo founder, "Frank Ordanez" also trained with one of Okazaki's students, Sam Luke.

thank you for the correction