• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

WHAT DO YOU THING ABOUT THIS MARTIAL ART???

tobiasboon2

Hello my friends. After a long time looking for a martial art for me, i am thinking about Okinawan Karate-Do Uechi -Ryu :karate: . What do you thing about this martial art?? I think its good for self defence (at least, i think its better than taekwondo :D ). I hope a lot of answers. :)

I think that the best sport is football (soccer) because is a wonderful game but the best sport (to do and feel oneself better) is any martial arts :)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Generally i've heard good things. It's not an uncommon style, and nothing too terribly exotic as things go. People more knowledgeable might be able to comment on the teacher or the lineage thereof (I don't know enough about the Karate world to, though.)

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

• 2 weeks later...

tobiasboon2 any style can be good for SD even TKD. I cannot uunderstand why people like to bash styles out of the blue, just because they met some crappy instructors or saw some bad performances.

Any style can be good, as long as you find a good dedicated instructor and you are able to learn the teachniques annd put enough work into your training to make it worth the effort.

Doing 1 hour of class every 2 months cannot make the style work. It's about you and the instruction you receive.

To answer your question: I have heard only good things about the style you mention, the idea is to find a good school and instructor.

• 2 months later...

Ahh.. Indeed a rare style, I believe in its capabilities to further enhance your self defense abilities.

"I am your judge, Executioner, jury, Executioner, lawyer, prosecutor, and if necessary... your Executioner"

I agree with ramymensa about martial arts bashing. I truly believe that anytime an individual decides to do something awesome for themselves like join a martial arts program, they should do so with an open mind. I hold rank in two different styles of martial arts. I have learned good from both. My passion is with Shotokan, but will always be open minded to other styles. keep in mind, most schools provide a trial membership, so even if you take a few classes, you aren't binded by a contract to stay. If you are truly interested in martial arts, try a few classes at different schools and choose the school that you truly enjoyed everything about. You never know, it may be a Tae kwon Do school :wink:

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think you would do wrong by chosing that style, but style shouldn't be the only determining factor. You will want to see if the Instructor(s) are the type of people you would like to learn from. I would suggest sitting in, or even seeing if the Instructor would allow you to participate in a few classes free of charge to see if it is compatible with you. Good luck!

"Blessed be the Lord my Rock, and my keen and firm Strength, Who teaches my hands to war and my fingers to fight." Psalm 144:1

It is one of the three major Okinawan schools, the other two being goju-ryu and shorin-ryu. It is a very 'hard' style, in that you will be presented with a great emphasis on conditioning. Do not be intimidated by how much the masters can withstand. In time, you will be able to achieve similar results.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

• 1 month later...
It is one of the three major Okinawan schools, the other two being goju-ryu and shorin-ryu. It is a very 'hard' style, in that you will be presented with a great emphasis on conditioning. Do not be intimidated by how much the masters can withstand. In time, you will be able to achieve similar results.

Actually this is only half correct. Uechi, is hard and soft. Most folks see all of the conditioning and hard techniques, but there are many soft also. All of the conditioning is necessary for the infighting and close techniques.