Superfoot

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As your knee goes up, your basefoot needs to turn. If you lift your knee up first, then turn your basefoot second, then you won't have enough momentum or power to kick properly.

Kyokushin Karate of Los Angeles @ http://www.kyokushinla.com

"Humility is not thinking less of yourself. It is thinking about yourself less."

hmm, I think I got it. Is this a kyokushin move or did some brazilian guy come up with it?

Lol ,I have noticed that it's beeing used in kickboxing and other systems latelly , as of it's origin , I don't have any informations about it . Lets wait for Feels reply

Moon might shine upon the innocent and the guilty alike

If anything, I think that this kick would have originated in TKD, but didn't have the credibility of having knockout power until Kyokushin fighters started using it. The Brazilian karatekas popularized the kick which is why we call it the Brazilian Kick, but they have been known to make many other innovative techniques as well.

Kyokushin Karate of Los Angeles @ http://www.kyokushinla.com

"Humility is not thinking less of yourself. It is thinking about yourself less."

For example:

http://www.seiwakai.com.br/

These guys are from a Kyokushin offshoot known as Seiwakai.

Watch the trailer that loads. You will see you innovative techniques, such as:

- The Catapult-Brazilian Kick - this is where a Brazilian Kick is thrown, but before bringing it down on the opponent, you grab your own foot, and let go of it to send the instep smashing into the opponent. It sort of works along the concept of the bow and arrow.

- The Cartwheel Kick - where both hands are placed on the ground, before performing a Brazilian Kick. Check out the opponents response to this. He just throws his hands up like "Come on now...."

The Brazilian kick is also used by one Japanese fighter, Norichika Tsukamoto. He calls this kick "Maha Geri". I dont know what lineage this kick belongs to, maybe both Japanese and Brazilian Karateka came up with this technique as a solution for coming over the opponent defenses. Much like the overhand in boxing, which was used to counter the jab.

In TKD, we do use this kick, but it is just another variation of the round kick. We have no special name for it. Sometimes it's used as a feint front kick, before rapidly switching the kick downwards (after the pivot). Other times it is just launched upwards at 45 degrees and brought down thereafter.

One of the great things about full contact Sparring is that it encourages freedom of expression. After all, you will most likely fight someone in class whose techniques are identical to yours, thus your ability to fight well will depend on your ingenuity in using those techniques and adaptability.

For this reason, many fighters, if not all, who participate in full contact sparring, be it TKD, Kyokushin etc will have their own unique maneuveurs or combos/set ups which will either be imitated by other fighters, or modified e.g. Ryu Narushimas High-Mawashi-Seiken thrust combo that seems to catch fighters off guard because he can throw high kicks at punching range. Like his master Kenji Midori, Tsukamoto has found a way to effectively utilise Wheel Kicks, by backing up a few paces, and flipping the kick into an oncoming opponent. There is even the use of rapid elbows in Kyokushin as done so by Ryuta Noji. Ever since Feels mentioned that, I can't stop thinking about how to use elbows in Knockdown!

Point is, there are near limitless way to modify a technique. Innovation is key to being a successful Kumite fighter.

Perfect Practice makes Perfect.

Hey Superfoot. For someone who doesn't claim to do any Kyokushin, you are one of its biggest proponents on this forum! I hereby award you an honorary membership- of course this offer is void outside this forum. :)

I agree

Moon might shine upon the innocent and the guilty alike