• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Evolution of Kyokushin

Superfoot

Hello. This is another Kyokushin thread by me. Sorry if I have upset anyone because of this. :idea:

My question. Can anyone tell me how Kyokushin competition has evolved since its inception? A poster here stated once that kicks to the knees were allowed, as were groin kicks. Were throws allowed at any one point? I remember watching the documentary, "The Fighting Black Kings" and one guy tried to use an Ippon-Seoi-Nage, as well as competitors who tried to use other reaps and throws. This was against the rules however, so I thought they may have been re-enacting past motions from previous practice.

Thanx

Perfect Practice makes Perfect.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jay,

Kyokushin is a martial arts system founded by Masutatsu Oyama, a Korean-Japanese, whose real name is Choi-Yong I. It traces it's lineage from 2 Karate systems, including Goju Ryu and Shotokan, as well as several Chinese methods, such as Chakuriki ("Force of Taking").

Kyokushin karate differs from most other Karate systems in that it employs frequent emphasis on full contact, full power sparring and combat effectiveness, as well as utilising very arduous training methods to keep the students strong. Students must not only be able to give hits but take them as well. Kyokushin practitioners frequent the maxim of "Osu", an amalgamation of the Japanese phrase OSU NO SEISHIN, which means "Perserverance under Pressure". Kyokushin students keep this doctrine in mind at all times to remind themselves to never give up and to do their best at the last minute. Of all the Karate styles, in terms of combat, many consider Kyokushin to be the "ne plus ultra" of all the karate styles. This is not to say that other karate styles are not as good, or effective, but Kyokushin has managed to distance itself from others through both its use of technique, philosophy and history.

In the 1970's, the first World Open Knockdown Tournament was held, in which many "traditional" karate practitioners, who were not used to continous fighting, were wheeled out on stretchers, due to their lack of experience in continous fighting (as opposed to point-fighting). What distiguished this tournament from most karate was the allowance of techniques that are not usually used in competition, such as the Hiza Geri (Knee Kick), Gedan Mawashi Geri (Low Kick), and the Kakato-Otoshi Geri (Axe Kick)This helped show the differences between Kyokushin karate and other styles or schools. But now, things have changed, and many sensei of different styles have changed their teaching methods, to promote better combat practice.

I live in Guilford, Surrey. At the moment, I am about to start ITF TKD, because I wish to improve on certain aspects not covered in WTF. Also the school (Phoenix TKD) offers cross-training in Jiu-jitsu. I cannot find any Kyokushin dojo's anywere, the only karate styles about are Wado-Ryu and Shotokan.

That's a pretty good synopsis, Superfoot. The only other thing worth mentioning, in terms of "evolution'" is that since the death of Oyama (and even before), Kyokushin has splintered into a number of different groups, not to mention Kyokushin-ish styles whose founders were former Kyokushin karateka: Ashihara, Enshin, Seido Kaikan, Daido Juku, World Oyama and Seido Karate to name a few.

Good luck with the ITF TKD. I also started out with ITF. Years later I made the switch over to Kyokushin.

Excellent post Superfoot :) .

Kyokushin has never advanced since the death of Sosai , maybe because of the splinters of the IKO , kyokushin is one of the greatest styles but I think it's held back by it's politics

Moon might shine upon the innocent and the guilty alike

Thanx for the props and responses guys.

Can't believed I missed out those groups, especially Daido Juku. I wrote an article about that art on Wikipedia, since I was tired of waiting for someone else to :lol:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daido_Juku

If I have missed anything, please tell me, or feel free to edit the page.

It's a shame. I love Kyokushin, even though I dont study it (I can't find a dojo yet, but I'm trying). I admire the arts doctrine towards both physical combat and mental control and calm. Speaking of the different groups, I thought World Oyama karate was just name name of a Kyokushin organisation based in North America headed by Sensei Shigeru Oyama. Not to bring this thread off topic, but is there anything fundamentally different about World Oyama that you do not see in Kyokushin?

I practise Daidojuku in Japan.Thanks for doing that article! Lately its also being refered to as Kudo( the way of emptiness?) rather than Karate, signifying its evolution beyond the boundries of "style" and its openness to encorporate techniques from any MA.Well thats my understanding of it anyway.Its still pretty hard to find English written material on the art.What do I know I just go to the dojo and train!

These days we're seeing alot more Muay Thai and BJJ being encorporated into the system. Elbows and knees are also allowed in competition.Usually ground fighting is limited to 30 secs and only twice per match. Its a pretty hard core system.When I tell people I do Daidojuku they look at me like "what r u nuts?" I like the realistic nature of the training.Its like a mix of NHB and kyokushin.It can serve as a good starting point for those looking to get into pro NHB.Or for someone like me it offers the benifits of MMA training and competition combined with a Japanese budo mentality. I love it!

"Today is a good day to die"

Live each day as if it were your last

kyukushin is the best karate style in my book.Honestly if I found one in my area and a legit one,I would drop my beloved Goju Ryu for it.Also a kind of side question,does anybody think the mas oyama movie is good or not,havent seen it yet.

https://www.samuraimartialsports.com for your source of Karate,Kobudo,Aikido,And Kung-Fu

You mean fighting black tigers ????? If so then I advice you to watch it

World oyama karate's rules are pretty much the same as kyokushin rules as far as i know it

Moon might shine upon the innocent and the guilty alike

Fighting Black Kings is an excellent documentary that follows the First World Open Knockdown Tournament that I was referring to. The film focuses on the American delegation who travel to Japan to represent America, but also features some segments on the Japanese delegation. Notable features include the appearance of many skilled Karate masters, who would go on to found their own styles, such as Kancho Ashihara (Ashihara Karate) and Joko Ninomiya (Enshin Karate). Look out for Hatsuo Royama and his signature low-kicks. I'm pretty sure he won all of his matches using those. Sosai Oyama can be seen judging the scores and also at the end of the film, sitting in Rei, with a Katana sword. He has very powerful eyes. I'll try to find the article about him. Apparently his eyes could exhibit pure focused will. And you see it too, if you watch the vid.