• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Poll: Would you prefer to train under a Korean instructor?

Korean/Westerner/any instructor preferable?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Korean/Westerner/any instructor preferable?

• Korean
    • Westerner
    • doesn't matter

I agree that Korean instructors have a better idea of Korean culture...that too me is an honest fact...

but...

Do you think that empowers them to be better instructors. Not in my opinion. I dont think that means that there arent any good Korean instructors...but alot of Korean instructors that I have met (in my time) are a little stuck on themselves.

sk0t

"I shall not be judged by what style I know, but how I apply that style againsts yours..."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, alot of the ones here (locally), and I cant speak for anything other than locally, they are really stuck on themselves...really egotistical, and very high on their korean heritage.

sk0t

"I shall not be judged by what style I know, but how I apply that style againsts yours..."

I picked doesn't matter...but with a caveat. My father studied TKD under a guy from Korea. One of the problems they had was linguistics. For instance alot of the students had trouble telling if the instructor wanted them to be firm or wanted good form...apparently he pronounced those two words very similarly. Also there may be a culture gap...for instance Korean culture and perhaps asian culture in general tends to favor brutal training and standing under running water to build concentration and physical endurance. Many americans would probably find they dont like this type of training and could do better with another form. Just my 2 cents. Oh and on what Thug said. Koreans tend to be very cliqueish and tend to favor other Koreans. This is Korea Koreans I'm talking about now not American Koreans. This has been seen to be proven in many international competitions. Americans probably do the same thing to an extent, but since there are more ethnicities and cultures here its probably alot less obvious that we are doing it.

Long Live the Fighters!

Once you find that an instructor REALLY is as good or better than natives of the country's the art originated in ... it doesn't matter.

I used to think it did but if one of my old instructors who trained under a Korean national from like age 7 to age 32 ain't got it yet ... what hope do I have?

Familiarity breeds contempt.

My first in instructor wasn't Korean, wasn't American. But he is still holding the standard I look for in MA, even in TKD. Very strict on technique. Maybe that's my problem with MA now-a-days. All I have to say, Thanks Mr. B. Tang Soo!

Laurie F

well some guy in a previous thread mentioned something about how racism in Korea was an acceptable thing,but since I've never been to korea,I can't agree or disagree.Anyways,theres also been people that the instructor being asian isn't enough,they have to be from the country the style originated from.The way I see it for those people ,what if they want to train in a style with chinese , korean , and japanese influence?What are they going to do?,find an instructor that's mixed with the three?So like I've mentioned before,it doesn't matter.

https://www.samuraimartialsports.com for your source of Karate,Kobudo,Aikido,And Kung-Fu

I agree Goju. My jujitsu instructor is also American. He is also my good friend's hubby. Do I think any less of him? No. Do I think any less of him because I'm the only one he is offically training now? No. Do I think less of him because is is teaching me for free and doesn't use "rank?" No. I know he is a 5th dan and he knows his stuff. That's all I care about. As long as I'm learning what he is teaching, that is all that matters to me.

Laurie F

exactly,then these people that want a korean instructor.What about when you get to instructor level,do you think that you shouldn't teach the arts because youre not korean?

https://www.samuraimartialsports.com for your source of Karate,Kobudo,Aikido,And Kung-Fu

• 2 weeks later...