• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Anyone trained under these Grandmasters?

Hi,

I'm doing some research related to a previous posting of mine.

I'm wondering if anyone here has ever met or trained under the following Koreans in the USA:

Eternal Grandmaster Haeng Un Lee

Grandmaster Soon Ho Lee

Grandmaster Joon Rhee

Grandmaster Bong Soo Han

If so, what did you think?

Any annecdotes or impressions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, :karate:

There are no limits.

http://taekwondodiaries.blogspot.com

^^*

• 2 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

When I was a white belt over 4 years ago, GM Joon Rhee came to visit my dojang. He was there to visit with my master GM Jun Lee, of Raleigh, North Carolina. He was an amazing man, though I have to confess I was only there a short time, I had to get to work. But I was there long enough to watch him do 100 push-ups in 60 seconds, something he is famous for, being in his 60's....

Obviously he is a very famous man, and I regret I didnt get to spend more time there. Hopefully I can cross his path again someday..

Todd

Eternal Grandmaster Haeng Ung Lee and Grandmaster Soon Ho Lee are both with the American Taekwondo Association. I have had the opportunity and privilege of meeting both, though only once.

In 2000 Grandmaster H.U. Lee was a special guest at our annual winter black belt camp. He lead work-outs and judged testing. I tested from 1st degree to 2nd degree rec. black belt in front of him - talk about pressure.

After testing, we walked up shook the judges hands and thanked them for the opportunity to test. I remember him telling me that I did very well. He made me feel really great.

During the course of the camp it was obvious he had a great sense of humor, and truly cared about his students and taekwondo. After we bowed out he stayed and posed for pictures with anyone that asked. He passed away the same year.

I met Grandmaster Soon Ho Lee the following year at the same camp. He told some really great stories about EGM Lee (his brother), and led us on a "traditional" taekwondo workout.

Hi,

Eternal Grandmaster Haeng Un Lee

*blink*

Eternal Grandmaster?

When did that title get created?

wondering the same myself. Eternal meaning..... afterlife?

I don't have to be the best, just better than you!

Working towards 11% BF and a Six pack

I saw one of Bong Soo Han's videos, because I wanted to take Hapkido. That was actually one of three choices I wanted to take besides TKD. It was either Hapkido, jujitsu, or Judo. I did a bit of Judo. And I got the chance to study Jujitsu .... WHOOOHOOO.

Anyways, I think Bong Soo Han's system is cool. But it's more kicking than I thought Hapkido would be. But then again, I know very little about any system of Hapkido (except what my TSD dojang taught).

Laurie F

Hi guys,

Thanks for the commentary on the Masters. I think it's really interesting because these are pivotal Korean instructors who did a lot for the sport globally.

Any more anecdotes would still be appreciated! WHITEMATT, for example, what did Grandmaster Soon Ho SAY TO YOU about his brother????!!!! Can you remember??? Even the small details are significant!

It seems that these Masters have an open attitude when dealing with others. This sense of character, I would like to hear more of. I once studied Judo under a Japanese ex-olympic champ, and I have to admit that he was a really cold type of personality. No questions, no showing initiative (the students that is) - a really formal traditional style of instruction.

About the 'Eternal Grandmaster' title, yes, this was a special honorary title given to him in recognition for his role in spreading TKD globally - I guess, yeah, the idea is that his spirit will live on forever.

Actually, what do you think about such special titles? What do you think about 10th Dans? Yeah, some of you may not know that there ARE 10th Dans out there. What do you think people need to achieve to prove themself worthy of these?

There are no limits.

http://taekwondodiaries.blogspot.com

^^*