karatekid1975

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

scottnshelly, cool site. I'm originally from NJ, and I live in NY. Here is the differences I got for each:

I got 36% yankee. I was either "common through out US" or "heavily in Northeast US" for NJ talk.

I got 28% yankee for my NY talk LOL.

So I guess I'm a yankee either way LOL

Laurie F

Gotta chime in here...

IT'S POP...as in SODA POP! This subject is really killin me because I lived most of my life in Ohio and 4 years ago moved to Virginia. It was POP in Ohio, Soda down here in Virginia.

OH...as for "down there" or "up to the store"...depends on whether we are talking about going North or South- if we are going North it's up...South is down. From Virginia, it's up to Ohio and down to Florida. Also works in smaller areas..."UP" to the Wawa (have 'em in Virginny too) north of town, and "Down" to the Walmart on Southside.

A hoagie is a "steak sub" (like a slab of meat)...as opposed to a ham and cheese which is a sub.

Finally...now coming from the South...it's the Y'All that KILLS me. Y'all can mean ABSOLUTELY ANY number of people. It can mean one person, "How'd y'all's family like that vacation?" OR it can mean several people, "Are y'all going down to the 7-11?" OR it can mean a HUGE number of people, "Y'all from Ohio talk funny."

shi wa hei to de aru

"All are equal in the grave"

I say sub now, because I have been in NY for so long. But the other day at work, someone from out of state asked for a hoagie and the person I was working with looked so confused LOL. I said, "It's the same thing as a sub." They asked me later how I knew what a hoagie was and I told them about moving here from NJ and what the "terms" were.

But the look on her face was so funny (you had to be there LOL).

Laurie F

• 3 weeks later...