• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Different terms for the same things.

karatekid1975

70% dixie, just under the mason-dixon line

"Blessed be the Lord my Rock, and my keen and firm Strength, Who teaches my hands to war and my fingers to fight." Psalm 144:1

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

36% Yankee. Cant beleive I wasn't higher being from MN...

The weirdest thing I've ever heard is calling a "drinking fountain" a "Bubbler". I've only heard that in Wisconsin and find it unusual every time I hear it.

"Jita Kyoei" Mutual Benefit and Welfare

Oh, thought of another one: A friend of mine from WI and I were going to go hit the bar one night and they said they "needed to hit the time machine". I looked at them like they were crazy, there's no such thing as a TIME machine! What they really said was TYME machine, a brand of ATM/cash machine found all over in WI. I guess that's a common thing to say when you need to use a cash machine/ATM in cheesehead land. Who knew? LOL

"Jita Kyoei" Mutual Benefit and Welfare

55% (Dixie). Right on the Mason-Dixon Line

Dead-on (spot on?); another that's up for debate.

Actually, my parents' home town is at most 30 miles from the line. I've driven over it any number of times going to the mall. (The other mall is 30 miles the other way.) I'm a military brat, so I've heard nearly everything.

I'm a Coke drinker, so it drives me nuts that my entire school is covered in pepsi machines, and when everyone calls a soda "pepsi" :kaioken:

Hmm- "cab" or "taxi"?

And what does everyone call an apartment? Or someone that lives with you in an apartment, with seperate rooms? (flat, flatmate?)

The best a man can hope for

is, over the course of his lifetime,

to change for the better.

• 1 month later...

In Australia, you have to be careful how you order your beer in different states, you will generally get a different size glass if you're not familiar with local terminology.

In victoria we all generally just ask for a "pot" of beer, but if you ask for a pot in some states, they look at you funny.

Captaaaaaaaaaaain CaaaaaaaaaaaaaaveMaaaaaaaan

• 1 month later...

Good questions. I am first aid trained, so I say band-aid for little stuff (cuts and stuff) and bandage for big stuff (cuts more than an inch deep and/or long that need stitches). And of course stuff like getting a finger cut off is a lot worse (APPLY PRESSURE and lotta of bandages (been there, done that on my own body).

I usually stay Q-tip.

I say tissue even if it's a napkin, toilet papper, or "kleenex." Just something I can blow my nose on. Who cares what it's called LOL. Snot will go wild anyways LOL.

Laurie F