• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Different terms for the same things.

karatekid1975

Here in Oklahoma we have a large variety of dialects. It varies depending on the area of Oklahoma (rural or urban, panhandle, South, East or West, etc) and the age of the person in question.

• Most real Oklahomans say coke, but we also have sodie, soda and pop.

• We all have couches, no sofas.

• Most of the old people say breakfast, dinner and supper. Most of the younger crowd says breakfast, lunch and dinner.

• We don’t have hoagies or subs, just sandwiches and sammiches

• We all go yonder, instead of up to or down to

• We all call Oklahoma City “the city”. That’s the only “city” so it can be called “the city”. We sound really redneck when we say “have you been to the city lately?” “Nope, I ain’t been to the city in almost a year.”

• We say cell phone. I’ve heard others say mobile, mobile (with a long I) and cellular

• “Fixin’ to” instead of “about to”

• I think most other people say “pants” while we say “britches”; and “drawers” for undergarments.

The town that I live in has a branch of a fortune 500 company that is based in New York. It’s been quite a learning experience for me to work here and talk to the Yankees. We’ve learned terms like “button down shirt” whereas we say “button up shirt”. They also “call out” to work when sick, while we “call in” to work. We’re very fortunate that we never have to “wait in line at the movie theater”, while the Yankees complain about “standing on line at the movie theater”.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Callin me a yankee, scottnshelly!?!?!?!?!?! I'm in NY. Na just joking (I'm originally from NJ) and some of these "yankees" do say the stuff you mentioned. It tripped me out at first (sorry, that's slang, not a NJ thing LOL).

The "pop" thing still drives me bonkers LOL. It's SODA dang it! LOL

I'm from NJ, but I don't say up or down. I say I am going to the store, or to the movies (maybe because my mom and grandmom are both grammer nuts).

Laurie F

I come from another country, Puerto Rico. I'm been here for about 12 years. I knew english but it was more like the one that they(Teachers) teach you at school. I try to use it but nobody will understand me, so I relearn it again.

One time I was arguing to the cashier in a supermarket about a dish liquid. I will call it Polmolive and she will call her dish liquid. I was saying the brand and she wil answer me what was really was, a dish liquid.

Your english is fine, to me anyways. I actually use Polmolive, so I can see where you are coming from. I'm American, and I still call it that. I use the "brand names." I don't say "dish soap." If I see a really confused super market worker, I will, but I don't see them much here.

Sometimes I say dish liquid LOL. That throws people for a loop LOL.

Laurie F

Scott I think your neighbors in Texas also say the same words you just shot up, most noticibally (Just fudged and bombed the spelling of the that word) he says "I'm fixin to get me sumpin to eat"

Oh my baloney has a first name.

And its' name is K-A-R-A-T-E.

Oh my balney has a last name

And its' name is......

Hey! what is it's last name?

The only thing I'm really aware of with the British English is the pants=underpants thing, which is highly amusing to us poor souls stuck in rural little towns with nothing to do but think of strange things.

He who gains a victory over other men is strong; but he who gains a victory over himself is all powerful Lao-tsu

Hmm, fooooood, Goooood no no good isn't gooooood it's good, but what a bout food? it's food, well what about gooooooood. no, it's good. just one of the stupid things in the english language

Oh my baloney has a first name.

And its' name is K-A-R-A-T-E.

Oh my balney has a last name

And its' name is......

Hey! what is it's last name?