• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Different terms for the same things.

karatekid1975

Hey all.

I have an idea for a topic (I've been full of that lately LOL). Anyways, I am originally from NJ. I moved to New York 4 years ago. I was used to ordering a "hoagie," so I said that to the deli person. They didn't know what the heck I was talking about (they are called "subs" here. Some places they call it a "hero" or "grinder').

Did you move or travel and try to order or say something that the other person didn't understand? I'm talking about in english to english. But from state to state, the "term" for one thing can be different.

I put this in humor, because I have a feeling that this can get pretty funny.

Laurie F

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's a hoagie? :lol:"Subs" on the West Coast baby! At least these New Yorkers have their food right!!!!!

How about "pop"? We call it "soda" where I'm from (West Coast)...the kids went crazy over that one for a while when we first moved here!!

And people here (NY) go "up to the store/school/Joe's/etc instead of "down to the store/school/Joes/etc. What's up with that!! And speaking of "UP", it drives me crazy when I hear people say " We were up to Bob's yesterday." Does any body in this state use the word "at"?!!!!

I'm done.....for now!

:wink:

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

We have the soda/pop thing, I was speaking (still am, despite four years here) with soda, and nobody knew what I meant.

We had the whole accent thing, I apparently spoke with a southern accent, despite being from the west, sort of, and now I just don't have an accent.

Dinner/Supper

Things like that. For the most part, now, I talk like the rest of the Ohioans, except for most kids at my school. I don't speak as much slang as they do.

He who gains a victory over other men is strong; but he who gains a victory over himself is all powerful Lao-tsu

Hehehehe. I say Soda. I work at a store, and people say "pop" and I still get confused. I am also doing an internship to be a dental assistant and one of my fellow interns said what you cookin for "supper." It's "dinner" dang it! LOL. My boyfriend says "supper." It drives me crazy LOL. I got used to saying "sub" though, because of where I work.

Hoagie is ... um ... It's a sub form Wawa! Also a NJ thing hehehehe. Wawa coffee is so popular now (you NJ peoples know what I'm talking about ... even PA people heheheheh), I can find it here at Tops super markets ... WHOOOHOOO!!! :brow: :D And there's no Wawa's here in NY, but they want the coffee (I do too hehehehe).

I feel the same way Heidi. I say "at" not "up." I still have my NJ accent once in a while, though. Brian goes crazy when it does come out LOL.

Laurie F

I get looks because of my accent! It is a mix of Westerner and Canadian(my dad was raised in Wisconsin and for some reason has a Canadian accent??????) People have no idea where I am from..they just say"You're not from around here are you!". :lol:

As for "supper" I have to confess, being that my dad grew up in Wisconsin, that I say it. Dinner is lunch...supper is the evening meal. They pretty much get used interchangeably around the house though. Oddly enough, my hubby was raised back east and doesn't use the term (?????)...maybe he spent too much time in California!!!

We also sat on a Davenport and wore dungarees...which gets you teased alot when you live in a rodeo town in Colorado! But...we never said "pop"!!! Where the heck.....?????

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

I'm a chef in restaurants we have a whole new language. cheese wit, dead fly, and rice on ice.

That was a cheeseburger, french fris (crispy), and rice pudding.

Oh my baloney has a first name.

And its' name is K-A-R-A-T-E.

Oh my balney has a last name

And its' name is......

Hey! what is it's last name?

LOL. I never heard of that, isshinryuwarrior, but that was pretty funny :D

I learned a "code" the other day in dental assistant "class." If you know there is a patient waiting, the interns have this "code" to remind the girls at the front desk. It has to do with the machine that sanitizes the dental tools, but I can't remember for the life of me what it was LOL (I'm the rookie LOL). When the interns say this, the front desk people say "OK" then we get the next patient.

I'll find out tomorrow.

Laurie F

In Montana it's breakfast-lunch-dinner, sofa, and any "cola" is called a ~Coke~, regardless of what brand it is.

We go "down" to the store, or "over" to a friends house.

Eh? :D

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"