• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Pros and cons of tournaments

Pros: Increased self confidence, the opportunity to test yourself, the chance to make new friends, the environment.

Cons: The occasional injury, cost, travel time.

I love tournaments. If I won the lottery tomorrow, I'd do nothing but teach and travel around to tournaments. :D

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

• 2 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Pros: good experience that cant get in class and meeting new people.

Cant' think of any cons, well unless you didnt do as well as you wanted to.

"Martial Arts is kinda like yin and yang when you think about it; it 50% physical and 50% mental"

Tornamenrt fighters are not street ready!

Again, a blanket statement that makes assumptions.

One of our black belts, who is an avid tournament competitor just had an altercation with a burglar in his garage. He was able to catch and subdue a very combative opponent, and hold him in a face down arm lock while he called the police. There are many tournament competitors that could do the same thing.

I'll admit there are some tournament competitors that would get wiped out in a street fight, but to blanketly say that all tournament fighters are no good on the street is doing a disservice to tournament participants.

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player