• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

worst martial arts movie ever

It seems a lot of y'all aren't into what we call 'Wire Fu'. Y'know, all the flying around, bouncing off stuff like crazed subatomic particles, etc.

The thing is, these movies are made for the Chinese. Beijing audiences have long since been bored with plain fighting movies. They want something magical, unreal, kind of like their version of high fantasy. The scene in CTHD where he runs over the treetops is a Beijing classic. It's almost as old as the film industry itself, and has been used in more Chinese action flims and soap operas than I can count on my fingers and toes.

Iron Monkey was great, and for once I didn't mind the Wire Fu, just ley myself get caught up in the magic of it all. For those of you who haven't seen Iron Monkey, it's basically Robin Hood on steroids.

Go rent Iron Monkey. Embrace the Wire Fu. The capitalist within you demands it. :karate:

d-:-o-:-)-:-(-:-o-:-P

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I respect all martial artists but I would have to agree that Crouching Tiger is stupid and that most of Van Dammes movies arent that great. I also dont like bruce lee movies to much. I did like brandon lee though. :karate:

Van Damme helped Chuck Norris do what in karate? Wasn't Van Damme probably in jr. high or younger back when Chuck Norris was winning national karate championships and co-starring with Bruce Lee? :???:

I'm not trying to be sarcastic, if this is common knowledge, I'm genuinely curious.

* Ignorant Taekwondo beginner.

http://www.thefiringline.com

i agree how did van damme help chuck norris in karate

norris was a world champ in the late sixties

how old was van damme?

the only thing van damme ever did for chuck norris was help keep martial arts movies in the

theatres

ps whats with van dammes rep for ....drugs,physical abuse and oh ya total arrogance

seems to me that he could learn a few thing from chuck norris. actions speak louder than words and mr norris has done plenty to give back to the martial arts community.

especially his kick drugs out of america program

what the world needs is more positive role models for young kids to look up to

people like mr norris are in a select group and should not be grouped with a scum bag like van damme

Honor is the most important thing a man has once you lose it it is gone forever

Ohhh...Ninja 3: The Domination. I though ninjas can spin around to make themselves become a human drill :lol:

Worst movie.... The Last Dragon... any movie with a character known as Bruce Leroy, has the soundtrack by DeBarge, and is about martial artist seeking "the glow", especially when one of them is the leader (who dresses like Bootsy Collins on holiday at a Samurai Dude Ranch) of a bunch of reject road warriors.

That is bad cinema!

• 1 month later...

I've seen a few. Here's a shortened list.

Anything Van Damme.

Anything Don Wilson.

Anything Cynthia Rothrock.

Anything with words like gym + kata in the title.

Anything with the words ninja + revenge.

Any Best of the Best sequel.(The first one is good only for the first time, then it gets really cheezy)

Any American Ninja sequel.(The first one was cool when it came out, think 80's mentality. Now they're all cheesy)

The Ninja Turtle Sequels.(Same reason as above)

Enter the Ninja.(The White ninja is especially useless)

Ninja Pirates.(No Ninjas, no pirates..what gives???)

Ninja Supremo.(Don't ask)

The Kickboxer sequels.(See 1st. All movies following this are lame too)

The Bloodsport sequels.(Same)

The Last Dragon.

Karatekid III.

Chuck Norris flicks aside from Return of the Dragon.

Game of Death. (My personal opinion is that the chinese gods killed Bruce Lee to prevent him from finishing such a horrible movie)

ARGH! There's so many more I can't name them all. However, as a good rule of thumb practically any martial arts film originating from a western nation is going to be ULTRA(note key use of an 80's word) ULTRA-CHREESY. That's not to say that Hong Kong hasn't produced anything horrid, believe me they have. *Think of all the Bruce Li, Bruce Le movies that sprouted after Bruce Lee's death* But, US flicks are horribly done. Nevermind the $$$$$ budget. Money can't buy love or a feasible story, it seems.

Ps.

About that flying that westerners seem to hate, the movie wasn't written to appeal to a western audience. It's a chinese story. It was written to be understood by a chinese audience. Flying is quite common in chinese mythology. It is associated with those being god-like in skill. It's not based on any fact, just fun oriental lore. Practically every asian nation has a story about some mythical character that flies. Not because of a super power, but because of enhanced skill.

"I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world." Einstein

In Bruce's defense, most of Game of Death was filmed with a double, so we don't actually know how good or bad the movie would have been.

Just my opinion.....

In search of the Temple of Light