• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hapkido effectiveness

I used a head kick in my last ring fight. In ufc (53, I think?) Loiseau won his fight with a spinning back kick. He followed it with a flying knee. Like I said, There's a time and place for everything. What about when mark coleman got kicked in the face as he was doubling over and got a tooth knocked out? He was about waist height when he was kicked, if I remember right.

I dint say it didnt work...someone point out where I said it didnt work...I said it had a higher rate of failure......if someone told you, and it was true, you could fly, once out of five attempts..... would you jump off a cliff? Also you are fighting against a opponent of your style...in a street fight, I am not nor ever do I speak about tournaments, sports and SD MA are different...they live by different rules, in different worlds. In street combat, would you use a high kick.

My master

https://www.wka.org/Dong%20Yong%20Do.htm

says that you only use high kicks if you want to die. I train with the military!

No matter how fashionable it is in Krypton, I will not wear my underwear on the outside of my Gi!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dint say it didnt work...someone point out where I said it didnt work...I said it had a higher rate of failure......if someone told you, and it was true, you could fly, once out of five attempts..... would you jump off a cliff to see.

My master

says that you only use high kicks if you want to die. I train with the military!

I train with an ex SEAL, several cops, an ATF agent and several ex-military... I fail to see what the point is there. I'm not military, but both my parents were and I'm a bouncer by night, so I fight several times per week. Is the fact that he is military supposed to reinforce your technique's effectiveness? At any rate, the percentage of failure depends largely on WHO your opponent is. In the ring, it's definitely not the best thing, until the guy is worn down, or unless you have perfect timing. On the street, it can go either way, as the guy usually isn't trained. In the case of military personnel, they (similar to sport fighters) are training to fight other trained people. Considering that fact, no, high kick are not advisable for them.

As for the comment about jumping off a cliff, yess, I would. That is the only way you will learn to be able to do it every time, right? You set up the environment to be realistic, but minimize the possibility of getting injured. For example, jump off of a cliff that is over deep water. People PAY MONEY to jump off of cliffs all the time, even though they know they can't fly, it's a rush. That said, you approach fighting the same way. If there is a technique that you can't do, how do you learn it? you have to repeatedly train it... you have to jump off of that cliff.

I dint say it didnt work...someone point out where I said it didnt work...I said it had a higher rate of failure......if someone told you, and it was true, you could fly, once out of five attempts..... would you jump off a cliff to see.

My master

I train with an ex SEAL, several cops, an ATF agent and several ex-military... I fail to see what the point is there. I'm not military, but both my parents were and I'm a bouncer by night, so I fight several times per week. Is the fact that he is military supposed to reinforce your technique's effectiveness? At any rate, the percentage of failure depends largely on WHO your opponent is. In the ring, it's definitely not the best thing, until the guy is worn down, or unless you have perfect timing. On the street, it can go either way, as the guy usually isn't trained. In the case of military personnel, they (similar to sport fighters) are training to fight other trained people. Considering that fact, no, high kick are not advisable for them.

As for the comment about jumping off a cliff, yess, I would. That is the only way you will learn to be able to do it every time, right? You set up the environment to be realistic, but minimize the possibility of getting injured. For example, jump off of a cliff that is over deep water. People PAY MONEY to jump off of cliffs all the time, even though they know they can't fly, it's a rush. That said, you approach fighting the same way. If there is a technique that you can't do, how do you learn it? you have to repeatedly train it... you have to jump off of that cliff.

But out in the street you cant make a safe environment! If one out of every five times it will suceed....it is highly improbable that i would use it!

You train with a lot of ex service men, so what you should do is ask them if they would use high kicks to defend them selves when the outcome of any H2H is death...that should settle it!

No matter how fashionable it is in Krypton, I will not wear my underwear on the outside of my Gi!!

Kicks to the head, kicks to the lower extremities, punches to the head, biting, pulling hair are all just tools in a toolbox. It's always good to have one handy just in case.

I wouldn't go into a fight "planning" to kick my assailant in the head but then again I wouldn't go in thinking of opening an attack with a kick at all. I rather use kicks when an opening presents itself, usually opened up by the hands. With that said, if a head kick presented itself then I say why not? I think the real key is "how good is your kicking ability". That's the question the fighter has to ask himself in his training. That decides what your weapons are. How good can you use what you have. If there's a doubt, leave it out.

I mentioned plans just to make a point, if you were to ask me what I would do in a given situation I couldn't give a definite answer. I don't plan anything, it's all situational and I go with whatever is happening. A fight (a real one) is ever changing, second to second and it's too unpredictable. What I will do or what "tools" I use will be dictated by the direction of the fight which I will be trying to control and "add" at least some predictability to.

The key for me is to be conditioned enough as a fighter to feel like I'm standing there with a baseball bat. My weapons have to work fast and hard. Head kick? If I see it, sure. Whatever works.

Tommy

But out in the street you cant make a safe environment! If one out of every five times it will suceed....it is highly improbable that i would use it!

I completely agree - that's why you train in the gym. You hone your technique there. Just as you would hone your flight by cliff jumping over water. You train in the gym every day so that you can be prepared for the real thing.

I completely agree - that's why you train in the gym. You hone your technique there. Just as you would hone your flight by cliff jumping over water. You train in the gym every day so that you can be prepared for the real thing.

I meant after you train it it still will only suceed one out of five times!

Kicks to the head, kicks to the lower extremities, punches to the head, biting, pulling hair are all just tools in a toolbox. It's always good to have one handy just in case.

I wouldn't go into a fight "planning" to kick my assailant in the head but then again I wouldn't go in thinking of opening an attack with a kick at all. I rather use kicks when an opening presents itself, usually opened up by the hands. With that said, if a head kick presented itself then I say why not? I think the real key is "how good is your kicking ability". That's the question the fighter has to ask himself in his training. That decides what your weapons are. How good can you use what you have. If there's a doubt, leave it out.

I mentioned plans just to make a point, if you were to ask me what I would do in a given situation I couldn't give a definite answer. I don't plan anything, it's all situational and I go with whatever is happening. A fight (a real one) is ever changing, second to second and it's too unpredictable. What I will do or what "tools" I use will be dictated by the direction of the fight which I will be trying to control and "add" at least some predictability to.

The key for me is to be conditioned enough as a fighter to feel like I'm standing there with a baseball bat. My weapons have to work fast and hard. Head kick? If I see it, sure. Whatever works.

Tommy

bingo.

Kicks are great for follow up or follow through. So are knees and elbows, and strike-downs.

With kicks though, perhaps not the high ones, but below the waist or toward the knees or ankles.

A feint or fake, or perhaps rely upon their momentum, their intent, etc., might be good starters rather than using the legs.

A fake sweep perhaps.

Draw their hands, feet, body, eyes, or mind away from what you are about to do.

If you don't have a target, make one.

Just putting out some loose thoughts!!!

Later!

:)

Current:Head Instructor - ShoNaibuDo - TCM/Taijiquan/Chinese Boxing Instructor

Past:TKD ~ 1st Dan, Goju Ryu ~ Trained up 2nd Dan - Brown belt 1 stripe, Kickboxing (Muay Thai) & Jujutsu Instructor

Be at peace, and share peace with others...