• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hapkido effectiveness

Hi, I'm curious in knowing how long it takes to become efficient in Hapkido where you can use it in the streets? Is this martial art good compared to other reknowned street effective martial arts? And would it be good to crosstrain in both Judo and Hapkido? I'm speaking about traditional hapkido. This question came to me because there is a Judo dojo where it also teaches Hapkido and Aikido. So if I ever move to this city, which could happen soon, I'd be interested in taking both Judo and Hapkido

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As in all MA trining it is about how it is taught. Let answer one question first, yes the cross training is great. Back to HapKiDo, I studied HKD and TKD together for about 4 years. The HKD was supposed to be the street fighting material. I thought it was cool and fun to learn the different locks and the few low kicks we did. What I did not know is that 95% of the material was not applicible inthe streets. I am not saying HKD is not effective, but it must be taught by someone who knows what is going on. In joint manipulation you either have to have a stactic opponent or have good seizing or trapping skills. You must also be ale to flow from a submission to a striking platform. The way I was trained was the person always grabs or places their hands on me then I do the technique. Great for begginers but not for the streets unless you get lucky. In Chin Na I trained to apply a lock on full speed targets but understood that if I missed the grab or lock immediatly go into striking and be prepared for strikes coming back. You must also be prepared when grabbing someone not to be pulled off balance, you are better off at times to let go and strike of retreat. In this world of PC some do not like to bust skulls but if you are not a Policeman then you do not have obligation to submit an opponent. You do have the responsibility to not dish out more than they deserve. Cross train but look for realism in your training. If it smells funny it may be.

Survivor

streetfighter had a bad expierience with his teaching. At my school, we train to apply locks agaainst resisting opponents, and are prepared to deal with missed locks. We usually set up our locks with strikes, and even Wing Chun style trapping if needed. Of course, this is combat hapkido, which is a far cry from traditional.

If it works, use it!

If not, throw it out!

Yes but does it have ground fighting. And I doubt its grappling is as good as Judos'. At least Judo has proven itself effective in the ring so I'll stick with that, but from what I hear so far traditional Hapkido doesn't seem too street effective. I think I'll stay away from it. Thanks for the advice.

exactly,most people don't train for the ring so I wouldn't worry about that.As for ground fighting ,I heard it does,but it's real nasty on your opponent.Judo is great too , but i wouldn't pass up the chance of hapkido.

https://www.samuraimartialsports.com for your source of Karate,Kobudo,Aikido,And Kung-Fu

Ok, but how long does it take before you can effectively use hapkido in the streets? Is it like Aikido and it takes forever, or is it quick?
well traditional arts take more time than others,but with patience and effort anything is possible
https://www.samuraimartialsports.com for your source of Karate,Kobudo,Aikido,And Kung-Fu