• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Any Hapkido/ITF TKD MAs in the DC/MD/VA areas

Hola to the board,

I'm a 19yr old junior in college. I'm looking to taking up my 1st MA experience. My main goals are to get in and keep in shape, gain discipline to help me with my school studies, and of course to gain strong confidence in being able to defend myself and/or loved ones if the situation ever arose. I looked around a bit for basic descriptions on a lot of martial arts and I'm interested in either Hap Ki Do or ITF style TKD or if you have any other recommendations I'd appreciate them. I've looked up a bunch of schools and got a list to go through. There's a lot for TKD and about 4 or 5 for Hap Ki Do, I guess what I'm asking is if any of you guys & gals in the DC/MD/VA area know of any good established dojangs in either of the styles to help me sort of narrow my list before I start visiting and seeing what I like. I prefer DC & PG County/Montgomery County MD, basically any place that's easily accessible by the Metro Transit. Thanks again.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I will tell you from my experiance (I like in Maryland).

1. Make sure you it's not a far distance to travel. This way, you won't make excusses not to go.

2. Make sure it will not break the bank.

3. Make sure they will make you earn your belt, and not give them out every 3 months.

4. DON"T SIGN A CONTRACT UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT IT INVOLVES!

5. Just because someone is certified, doesn't mean they're the best.

6. Try to find a place that emphasizes you warming up before the class starts. My class is 45 minutes long, and 20 minutes of that is spent stretching (joke)

Good luck in your journey, and keep us updated!

I don't have to be the best, just better than you!

Working towards 11% BF and a Six pack