• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Marial Arts Cities?

Which part of the country do you train on?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Which part of the country do you train on?

• West Coast-California, Washington...
    • Mid West-Minnesota, Nebraska...
    • South West-Texas, Louisiana...
    • North East-Pennsylvania...
    • South East-Georgia, S. Carolina
    • East Coast- New York, Massachusetts

Which cities do you think have the most activity in the Martial Arts, be it Tournaments or Education? Why do you think that would be? Is there any U.S. city that could be synonymous with Martial Arts, i.e. a Mecca for MAs?

<-----------the art of people folding!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

i may not have all the answers, but i do know that the west coast owes a lot to bruce lee for its widespread interest in martial arts. (i say this because i lived in ca and in wa and in both places there are thousands of dojos). bruce lee had schools in ca and wa and his grave is in wa. (people come from all over just to place flowers on his grave)

i know that a lot of masters live in places like oklahoma- so good training should be had out there, but i don't know what it's actually like.

some thoughts on karateKarateRanch Blog

Thanks for the responses everyone. I guess if i had to say that there is one American city associated with martial arts it would probably be L.A. Only because of the Hollywood influence and the fact that every well known martial artist out there somehow makes his way to L.A. to be in a movie. What do you think? At the risk of sounding a bit stereotypical, maybe San Francisco do to the large Asian American population?

<-----------the art of people folding!

My area isn’t on the poll, Oklahoma. As atalaya mentioned, we do have a lot of really good Masters and teachers in this area. Everyone should come here to train. Our population is less than the other areas mentioned, so we probably have less good teachers, but the ratio might be higher.

hawaii has a lot of martial arts?

LOTS!

Remember that Hawaii is a place of many different races including many Chinese, Japanese, Korean and now many Brazilians are making Hawaii their home. There are also polynesian martial arts here and Filipino stick fighting. Many schools on the mainland can trace their roots back to people who came from Hawaii including Ed Parker. Of course all Kajukenbo schools and Hawaiian Kempo came from here.

Offered in Hawaii are many styles of karate, different styles of kung fu, tae kwon do, judo, aikido, jujitsu including the Gracie academy, muay thai, and there are several boxing gyms here.

Edited by pineapple

What works works