JimmyNewton

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually drive an hour away and train in Shelby, NC.

his name is Willie B. McIntosh. He is retiring in another month or though, so this fall/winter, I plan on driving 2 hours away to train with Kyoshi Doug Perry in hendersonville, NC.

Luckily, shelby is on the way to hendersonville, so i can take a pitstop during traveling to see my parents.

"The wise and successsful will always be met with violent opposition by mediocre minds."

Jimmy,

Wow 2hrs is quite a ride.

I train in Shorinkan as well in New Jersey with Kyoshi Robert Herten. He and Kyoshi Perry trained together in Okinawa with Hanshi Nakazato.

We have a few people in our dojo who also travel long distances. Some stay overnight or for the weekend due to the long trip.

There's just something about training that keeps ya coming back. I can't think of too many other things that would make people drive all that way on a consistant basis.

We practice yakusoku kumites 1 through 7 and we have bunkai for a few katas that we also practice.

-Jason K

Keep your belt tight and your mind open.

well the way i see it, Mr. perry is somewhat legendary.

Luckily my parents hometwon is at the halfway point so i can stop in and see them. Also, my wife is nursing school and we do not have kids yet, so with her studying and me having the time, I figured now is the best opportunity. As we start a family, it will only be harder in the future. I'm 27 now and would like to gain as much as possible while I can.

Plus a lot of the schools in charlotte tend to be very expensive and theres no way they can touch the instruction Sensei Perry has to offer.

"The wise and successsful will always be met with violent opposition by mediocre minds."

Well, I don't train in Monterey. I actually train in San Francisco, which is two hours away with Renshi Sam Ahtye. I will be moving away from California next week so my year with him is coming to an end, sadly.

I'll still probably see him at camps if I can make them and I plan on visiting every now and then, but in terms of continual instruction in Shorinkan, it is over for at least the next year. All that means is I will have a lot more training on my own, which will really force me to grow, hopefully not in the wrong direction.

Every month there seems to be a new Shorinkan person here on the boards...it is always nice to see...

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/