• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Yokusoko Kumite

JimmyNewton

I was wondering if any other schools pracxticed prearranged Kumite, or Yokusoko Kumite. 1, 2 and 3 time attacks.

I've seen it done in traditional karate and tae kwon do as well.

For those not familiar..it usually both students face each other.

one is the attacker, the other defender. they could be as simple as the attacker proceeds with 3 stepping punches, the defender, steps black and blocks and on the 3rd simultaneosly blocks and knife hand to throat.

this is just one example. I feel they are good for timing and distance, and get progressivley harder and can be beneficial for self defense techniques. i was wondering if anyone else hear practices this and what some of them may be. please share.

thanks

jimmy

"The wise and successsful will always be met with violent opposition by mediocre minds."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We do bunkai which is just kata with peopel actually attacking you so unless we do it so you dont have to go exactly as the kata goes just the same moves but not the same timing (which is like half the time) then its kinda the same thing. I know you guys probably practice bunkai too, but there isnt really all that much difference there. Its just prearranged kumite with more than one person.

Focus

Square, rectangle.

Yakusoku kumite means "promise" sparring - or prearranged sparring. Gohon kumite means "five iteration sparring". You basically take five steps forward and five back etc.

Gohan kumite means "rice sparring." Perhaps it means to spar over a meal or to pelt one another with rice.

Gohon kumite is one method of doing yakusoku kumite - in some ways of doing it. In more advanced gohon kumite, it is not yakusoku kumite. Depends on how you do the drill.

BTW, there really isn't such a thing as "gohon kumite" as a specific drill. There is ippon, one step or single iteration, and then there are multi step drills. Depending on the amount of space in the room, then it will be 3, 5, 7 or even 10 step sparring. The Japanese usually dont have a basketball court so they do 3 step a lot, ime.

Lol, but in class we learned something called the rice dance or sometimes called the undu. Its called taht because it follows the design of the symbol for rice because you jump around in a set patern and its basically a dodging exersice/technique and after you get that part down you start adding in set attacks, but it can really be anything. ITs fun practicing with partners with hand pads. We also tried it with our eyes closed and everyonce in a while someone would get hit once we started moving the pads still with our eyes closed or if we didnt have partners everyone would open their eyes and be somewhere else.

Edited by Why_Worry

Focus

well yesterday we did this drill in which in a straight line we just charged at our opponent with any technique we wanted and they had to block and counter untill we ended on the other side of the dojo.Then it was their turn to attack us.I have no idea what kind of sparring this was,but it did give a great work out. :karate:

https://www.samuraimartialsports.com for your source of Karate,Kobudo,Aikido,And Kung-Fu