• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Jinen Ryu system/art

northerndragon

Dear fellow forum members,

I'm getting ready to join a Karate school, which teaches Jinen Ryu Karate. Before I do this, I thought I'd inquire from any Karate students what one might expect from the Jinen Ryu style?

My past martial "history" has been varied: approx. 8 years in a "northern Shaolin" Chinese martial art; about 1 year in Capoeira, and most recently, 1.5 years of Taekwondo.

I have been reading a book on Karate, from author Tadashi Nakamura, titled "Karate ~ Technique & Spirit", copyright '01, Tuttle Publishing. Anyone also recommend any books?

peace,

Eric

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Dear fellow Forum members,

thank you kindly for the replies. I have since researched more about a school to join and have labored over this choice. I chose the Shotokan school in my community. It was a DIFFICULT decision to make: scheduling, time, "connection" etc., but the school I decided upon (Shotokan school) seems to be the most logical choice.

I have YET to actually step foot onto their Dojo but I'm very impressed with the school, the students, and the teacher as well.

I'm looking forward to my first class, very much aware of the fact that my "previous muscle memory'' from my prior eight years of Shaolin Gung Fu and the Taekwondo will certainly play tricks on how I adjust and learn the Shotokan.

whew!

peace

Eric B.

I have found that it is much easier to "add a new way to do things" rather than "change the old things" when studying another art. Good luck!

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

• 2 years later...

ninjanurse & others,

Good replies. They're helpful too! Your replies were informative:

Ninjanurse: it makes sense. Adding news ways to do things, instead of changing old patterns/things when studying a new Art.

Follow-up responses and questions:

Kzshin & P.A.I. : I do not know if this school is authentic Shindo Jinen-Ryu or not. If you need to see his website, in Alaska, it is Okamoto's Karate. I believe those are good keywords to find in Google or Yahoo, plus Alaska will narrow it down. The website he has states that they teach Jinen Ryu and Tae Kwon Do. Perhaps he's offering a hybrid or sports-mix? You both obviously know more about Shindo Jinen Ryu than I, who is Sensei Konishi?

Another subject:

Since that time, I have not joined the Jinen Ryu (Okamoto's) and have focused more on the Shotokan dojo in my community, but its proximity is not as close as Gosoku Ryu school, which is just five or six miles from where we live. The Shotokan dojo on the other hand is about a half-hour away ... :-? . Perhaps the Gosoku Ryu is equally viable.

regards,

Eric