• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How much is too much? Hapkido joint lock practice.

No. I dont agree. Training with an unpredictable partner is sure to lead to substantial injury. At our school at least, we don't tell our opponent what technique we are going to use but once we start the technique we allow them to go down. When they get back up we move on to other techniques. But if I were to say we are gonna do 5 outer wrist locks in a row and then after number three I did a flying scissor sweep a person may indeed mis the cue and get hurt.

Long Live the Fighters!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well tuff, ihope that works when you let your assailant take a fall, because your muscle memory doesnt allow your leg to sweep back far enough or yor hands to snap forward fast enough, or you cant grab an arm because they are not wearing a do bok!! For your sake and safety please remember technique 19 of the 18 technique!

No matter how fashionable it is in Krypton, I will not wear my underwear on the outside of my Gi!!

I’m trained in the art of jujutsu. The joint locks are too brutal to change techniques mid progress without the uke’s knowledge. Unless we were doing a randori session, the uke knew in advance what technique was being applied, therefore he/she could prepare for the fall/strike/joint lock. Even then, caution was applied during throws and joint locks. When applying the locks, we would apply pressure until the uke taps. With experience, you can feel when you are approaching the point of no return. For beginners, it’s difficult to know how much is too much so they are more timid in applying joint locks, especially when they feel them first.

Listening to your instructor is the best way to progress in class. They know when, where, and how to move to minimize damage. I used to dread Judo sessions because I always had to work with the new ukes do to my advanced breakfall techniques. They'd drop me any old kind of way. I had to know how to fall in order not to break my neck. In essence, they improved my breakfalls without even knowing so. If your instructor says “go for it”, by all means, go for it. Injuries happen in training and that’s just the way it is. Instructors know this, especially, and accept full responsibility if they’re hurt in training.

The only thing for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Umm...say huh with the what now?

Technique 19 of the 18 technique!!

RUN AWAY!!

No matter how fashionable it is in Krypton, I will not wear my underwear on the outside of my Gi!!