• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How much is too much? Hapkido joint lock practice.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you cant tap while your flying to the ground, thats the part i think he's concerned about,.......I'd have to answer this question with a question, if you find it's easy to respect your teachers wishes in the "no unneccesary questions" category, then why so quik to second geuss him when he gives you a destinct instruction, your teacher tells you he know what he's doing then dont question him, either he really does and noone gets hurt and your getting good practice, or he's wrong and no blame is on you,..............he's shown trust in you for a reason, im sure he doesnt walk up to every new class member stick out his hand and say "go wild"

Good point. I never question his authority so I always comply but I am amazed and interested in how he can handle the pain so effortlessly. If he wishes it be so, perhaps I will learn in time. Thanks for the input.

<-----------the art of people folding!

I always viewed reacting to techniques like this:

You can be ahead of the technique

You can be at the technique or

You can be behind the technique

What I mean is you can take your fall before it gets to be too much pain...you can take it exactly as the throw or lock is applied...or you can wait too long and very possibly get hurt.

As I am very overweight I tend to fall behind if I try to stay with the technique...so usually once I find that they are doing it in the right place I just go ahead and take the fall. Perhaps this will help you to figure out why advanced belts never seem to get hurt.

Long Live the Fighters!

You have hit the proverbial nail right on the head! I always wonder how he flips and lands with the loudest sound even if I half * the technique. He knows how its gonna end and therefore lessens the possibility of injury by staying one step ahead of me at all times. Excellent!

<-----------the art of people folding!

lapulid2,

Being "ahead of the technique" is actually the defense for the technique. Many throws is hapkido are actually joint destruction techniques. The defense to these techniques is to do an areial breakfall. So when you are doing joint lock type throws both partners are acutally practicing. One person is learning to do the lock/throw and the other is learning to relieve the pressure of the lock by falling. With exterience you get better at recognizing what lock is being applied and "jumping into the throw". This is why with beginners you tell them what throw you will be doing where as with advanced practioners you can just trow them - they should be able to recognize the lock and stay enough ahead of it to not get hurt.

The flip side is that an advanced practioner can move fast when throwing a relative novice without hurting them by doing the lock with enough "slop" that body mechanics and momentum start them into the fall before the joint is damaged.

ichi-go ichi-e

一期一会

one encounter, one chance

• 2 weeks later...

I always viewed reacting to techniques like this:

You can be ahead of the technique

You can be at the technique or

You can be behind the technique

What I mean is you can take your fall before it gets to be too much pain...you can take it exactly as the throw or lock is applied...or you can wait too long and very possibly get hurt.

As I am very overweight I tend to fall behind if I try to stay with the technique...so usually once I find that they are doing it in the right place I just go ahead and take the fall. Perhaps this will help you to figure out why advanced belts never seem to get hurt.

You have hit the proverbial nail right on the head! I always wonder how he flips and lands with the loudest sound even if I half * the technique. He knows how its gonna end and therefore lessens the possibility of injury by staying one step ahead of me at all times. Excellent!

You will never learn this way!!

When i feel that a person is getting ahead of my technique, we change it without his knowledge. Sudennly he dives into a left nak baup, and the rest of him goes right! Thats how you learn. Remember equal pqin equal gain!!

No matter how fashionable it is in Krypton, I will not wear my underwear on the outside of my Gi!!

Sounds like needlessly harmful practice H2. The point of practicing is to get good. Not kill your partner. If you are honestly saying you would change techniques midfall to injure your partner then your school is certainly one I would not be attending.

Long Live the Fighters!

Sounds like needlessly harmful practice H2. The point of practicing is to get good. Not kill your partner. If you are honestly saying you would change techniques midfall to injure your partner then your school is certainly one I would not be attending.

Not mid fall that would be stupid!! I mean going through one movement than when he thinks i will do it again, i do something different. So i change from the beggining of the technique. If he is paying attention he wont get hurt. It keeps people on their toes, and i would pit my fellow HKD students ability to break fall against anyones.

I embrace the pain, I love it!! My class is small made up of the Fiji special forces, so it can be pretty hardcore!!

No matter how fashionable it is in Krypton, I will not wear my underwear on the outside of my Gi!!

Ok and what about people that want to learn to defend themselves who arent in the Fijian special forces?

I am not in the special forces, but our instructors are!! They train in their dojang in the way they believe that will help you survive in the streets.

The classes are mainly accountants, students, lawyers etc, we just train hard. Hey man if you cant take the heat......!! People attacking you are unpredictable so it pays to train with the unpredictable.

Do you agree??