• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Oyo?

Armbar

Quick question:

What is oyo? Some people seem to use the words bunkai and oyo interchangeably, while others think they're diferent things all together. What is your definition of oyo?

"Achieving victory in every battle is not absolute perfection. Neutralizing an adversary’s forces without battle is perfection."

Sun-Tzu, The Art of War

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Bunkai means "to break up" or "dissassemble" and is when a kata is broken down, analysed and studied. This is where the applications are taken from the kata.

Oyo translates as "to use" and is how the techniques are actually applied in a fight.

Henka means "variation". That's when the move in a kata is adapted in order to make it work for the individual. It may have the same principles but not look exactly like the move in question is performed in the kata.

Bunkai - Analysis

Oyo - Application

Tokonkai Karate-do Instructor

http://www.karateresource.com

Kata, Bunkai, Articles, Reviews, History, Uncovering the Myths, Discussion Forum

Using an uke technique as a block is only possible in a kumite style attack. However kumite is a modern component of karate, and therefore it is highly unlikely that the bunkai of the uke techniques is as a block. This is something that has been tagged on as sports karate has grown.

Tokonkai Karate-do Instructor

http://www.karateresource.com

Kata, Bunkai, Articles, Reviews, History, Uncovering the Myths, Discussion Forum

Using an uke technique as a block is only possible in a kumite style attack. However kumite is a modern component of karate, and therefore it is highly unlikely that the bunkai of the uke techniques is as a block. This is something that has been tagged on as sports karate has grown.[/quote

1-He meant Bunkai is the offical application and oyo is the alterd application for the same technique in the kata, in pinan shodan(heian nidan) the bunkai for spear hand is to the mid section which is the bunkai , if you use the same technique for hitting the face it's oyo

2- in Heian shodan the simple Bunkai for two down blocks at the end of the "H" is blocking a kick and step in punch , one of the oyo is to body change on the kick ,block the punch with the back hand and down block to the ribs.

as i understood there is one bunkai with bunch of oyos , he may be wrong anyway.

i heard this from darell craig , he mentioned that Bunkai is the standard application in kata where a block is a block , if you use a block as a strike then it's oyo.

Japanese I know use the words interchangeably, since the application can either be the analsysis or the usage of the technique depending on how you speak about it. Semantics.

However, bunkai can be used to take a technique apart for practice rather than application, which is a difference in use between the two. I think trying to make a rule as to when to use this is not going to work so well.

Consider English:

"Let's analyze this technique" - then the instructor shows how you would use it in a fight.

"Let's apply this technique" and he does the same thing.

"Let's analyze this technique." - then the instructor starts to perform it slowly and break it into a four count.

That's pretty much how I've seen it used.

• 3 months later...