• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

After you miss a MT round house kick?

My instructor is very much of the "keep your guard up" school of thought. This is not so important in a kickboxing or Muay Thai match, because when you round kick, your opponent stops what he's doing and leg-checks. However, drunks don't leg-check - they usually don't even notice you're round-kicking them, and they don't stop what they're doing to let you take turns, they just clock you with an overhand right just as your round kick is about to strike. We are trained initially to stay in our "shell" when round-kicking and cover the head as best we can, then when comfortable, extend the arm on the same side as the kicking leg toward the opponent's head to stop any forward motion, and keep the guard up on the opposite side to defend the haymaker.

On the other hand, I've seen Muay Thai competitors swing the arms around - Buakaw no less.

As for the original topic, I actually asked my instructor this very question and he told me that the best thing to do is to spin 360, and when he demonstrated it, it looked like he moved back out of striking distance at the same time. His opinion is that any round kick that can be pulled back into fighting stance if it misses isn't powerful enough to be worth throwing. He didn't mention 180 spins and back kicks.

I have to disagree with much of this because more seasoned fighters will intentionally not check leg kicks to land "big bombs" and because they're conditioned. Losing to a leg kick is looked as a rookie way to lose in the Muay Thai world. Not checking leg kicks is something you in knockdown/bareknuckle karate tournaments...A LOT. You see this a lot in Muay Thai, too...translated, a stance called "tiger stance" is such a deep stance in Muay Thai that you don't check the kick and throw "cobra punches"..the tactic is to get in close because these aren't long range punches.

I'm sure your instructor didn't mention 180 spins and such because he probably didn't come from a Thai "style" Muay Thai gym, did he? Since you like to use Buakaw as an example, watch and see if you see him do a 360 spin after he misses..I doubt you will but I have seen a crappy fighter do such a thing and get annhilated from him in a k1 max highlight.

Karate without bareknuckle kumite(kyokushin/knockdown rules)is dancing. Karate without kata isn't Karate.

BTW, I'm a horrible dancer.

• 2 months later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

I couldn't decide whether to spin 360 or try to stop. I recently decided to spin only 180 and go right into a back kick, which I really like. It is a good move for the way my body moves. My roundhouse kicking leg goes to support for the back kick, and I kick back with the other leg. Bam, BAM!

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.

• 9 months later...
three things:

1. the kick is done with with a lot of power. If you miss, you will not plant your foot in a southpaw stance, because you are in most cases going to turn at least 180 degrees. There are some who can kick extremely hard and catch the kick in mod delivery, but from what I've seen, most cannot. Even if they could, they miss the opportunity for what I will mention next.

2. from the 180 degree position, you can launch a back kick - it's a good counter as some people will rush in on you after missing the kick. The other option is what ben said - spin 360 degrees. If you do this, end the spin with a leg check, because it's highly likely that a kick will be returned to you.

3. It's generally considered a bad idea to switch leads. most fighters pick one lead and stick with it.

ok well in my karate class they say its aactually bad to spin around like that after the roundhouse, but someitmes i find myself having to do it anyhoo. but but u think its safer to do the roundhouse and spin back around 360, or just do the roundhouse and snap itback to your fighting stance?

iluvmartialartskajukenbousansoomooyeadokarate

If you miss with this kick (not have in checked) you are probibly out of range. I still woundn't put my back to the guy.

I drop tragectory and deaccelerate as soon as possible. This usually lands me in a southpaw stance. Since you've got distance, immediatly switch back to your good lead since you have time. You should be able to do this even if he's pressing due to the space factor. A simple step of slide to cut an angle should work.

You could move into the spining back kick after the miss, especially if you use the momentum to set up the kick the way Cung Lee or Chuck Liddel do it.

• 2 weeks later...
You could move into the spining back kick after the miss, especially if you use the momentum to set up the kick the way Cung Lee or Chuck Liddel do it.

yea i luv watching cung le fight, its gr8 to see a spinning back kick or spin kick every once in a while in MMA.

I've been watching for this the last few UFC events I've watched, as well as on some straight MT matches on YouTube. I've noticed two things:

1. MT roundhouses don't come up that often in MMA compared to straight MT fights. MT fighters like it a lot.

2. Fighters who use it, whether MT or MMA practitioners, do different things when they miss depending on what the situation is.

Some kicks are high kicks to the head. If you miss that kick, you are physically in a different position than if you missed a RH kick to the upper thigh or lower leg, or even the kidney.

The other fighter may be in a position that naturally leads you top stop your motion and reverse it, or to do the 360, or to just put your foot down and then move on your feet to a new stance or a new location on the mat.

Try all the different follow-ons to a missed round kick and see what your body likes, so you are better equipped to react to the real-time dynamics of a particular situation.

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.

I've been watching for this the last few UFC events I've watched, as well as on some straight MT matches on YouTube. I've noticed two things:

1. MT roundhouses don't come up that often in MMA compared to straight MT fights. MT fighters like it a lot.

2. Fighters who use it, whether MT or MMA practitioners, do different things when they miss depending on what the situation is.

Some kicks are high kicks to the head. If you miss that kick, you are physically in a different position than if you missed a RH kick to the upper thigh or lower leg, or even the kidney.

The other fighter may be in a position that naturally leads you top stop your motion and reverse it, or to do the 360, or to just put your foot down and then move on your feet to a new stance or a new location on the mat.

Try all the different follow-ons to a missed round kick and see what your body likes, so you are better equipped to react to the real-time dynamics of a particular situation.

would u think it safer to follow up with a spin move? or to just follow up with a leg check?