• 3 months later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is hard enough for me to get my hips moving that once I kick, I don't think I could stop without either falling down or getting kicked in the rear at the 180 position. I find the 360 to be easier, followed by a leg check. That is also how I've been taught.

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.

I think that you can avoid the spin if you envision your kick going on a continual upward angle, as opposed to straight across, on a flat plane.

I don't know if that is the proper way to analyze the technique, but it could work.

Thanks, I will try that since it's so hard for me to get my leg high enough.

My instructor says to chop down while you visualize going through the target. Your shinbone hits the target just after the semi-circle's apex. (It HURTS when done correctly.) The spin helps that picture.

I noticed when watching some YouTube video last night that not many pros go all the way around, unless they follow it up with an immediate spinning heel kick or some back kick. As a beginner, I am more concerned with balance during the move and getting my kick impact to be worth the effort. The round kick is not my best move...yet. :P

"Chopping down" does make sense. I may have to play with that idea as well.

At my school, we have some bags that we can hang up, and they are pretty low to the ground; perfect for practicing that low Thai kick!

There are some great bags at my new school for just that purpose. OBTW, using the shin hurts the other person. There's a guy who trains MT at One Spirit whose kicks are so hard he could easily break an opponent's leg with his shin. Scary.

There are some great bags at my new school for just that purpose. OBTW, using the shin hurts the other person. There's a guy who trains MT at One Spirit whose kicks are so hard he could easily break an opponent's leg with his shin. Scary.

I agree with you here. For LEOs, they teach what is essentially the low Thai kick, aiming for the common peroneal. We had a guy brought in last night that actually got a kick on his leg like that. He was limping all night long!

I'm still finding it difficult to get my hips into my kicks, even the low kicks. Any advice?

See if you can visualize this, going very slowly:

1. Begin by reaching your rear hand across your body, stretching it out and pointing it at point beyond your target (45 degrees from the left, if it is your right hand).

2. Cock the leg for the kick, keeping the knee behind behind you, almost set on a 180 degree line with where you are pointing. Your body should feel stretched, like it is "loaded," like a spring.

3. Now, pull with your outstretched hand, and bring the kicking leg around as well. As the knee begins to line up with the target, pivot your base leg as you extend the kick. The pivot should help to get your hips into it more. Now you have sprung your spring, so to speak.

4. Finish by adding the "chopping down" concept.

Let me know how that goes for you. This may sound very exaggerated, and it is. It should help you get a good feel for what you are trying to do, and you can shorten the process up as you go along.

Exaggerated works for me. I can worry about not telegraphing it once I've learned how to do it. That sounds great, I'll give it a try, thanks.

My instructor says to keep your guard up when kicking, but the instructors at the new school are more into swinging the arms to add power and swivel to the kicks.