• 5 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I miss a kick I spin 360, This is a better way in my opinion because having your back turned draws your opponent in, but your back is only turned long enough for him to close, not strike. Therefore as you spin come around with a backfist or back elbow depending on the range, you can do a spinning back kick, but most opponents will be in to close for this because the closed when your back was turned, the back elbow and backfist are devestating techniques that can knockout your opponent, use them.

can you do a spinning back fist in MT i always thought you wasn't allowed?

Strive to Become The Type Of Person That Others Do Not Normally Encounter In This World

I would love it if everyone i spoke to or met throughout my life would benefit from being with or speaking to me. - Life goal

I See The Sunshine But Their's A Storm Holding Me Back.

According to my instructor you can, I'm not sure, he seems to really know what he is talking about, plus he Muay Thai Champion of The Orient as a Lightweight and Welterweight. So I would think he knows what he's talking about. Do some research on it, I will too, and post here if you find anything.

According to my teacher, Thai kickboxers and kickboxers now do not spin 360 degrees but land in a 180 degree position.

How can I describe this better?

Do a Muay Thai round house kick and where you land your kick should be the same place that will allow you to just turn your body (without moving your legs) 180 and be in a standard fighting stance. But your in the opposite direction of your opponent. Basicaly... land your right foot a little farther than your left one.

Aikido have names for techniques like "heaven and earth."which represents the creation of the universe along with a philosophical meaning.

Muay Thai have names for techniques like "closing the lamp", which means "punch him in the eye."

I don't wanna disagree with you and start a flame, but everything I have read about Muay Thai, says that in almost all cases, if you miss you should spin 360, whether or not you use a backfist, elbow, etc. I think it should be each to his own, however you as an individual feel more comfortable, do it that way. Experiment with all the options first, you may be surprised by what your comfortable with.

well on channel 5 in lonodn they used to have nightr of combat and the full thai fules stated no spinning backfist but spinning elbows are allowed.

Strive to Become The Type Of Person That Others Do Not Normally Encounter In This World

I would love it if everyone i spoke to or met throughout my life would benefit from being with or speaking to me. - Life goal

I See The Sunshine But Their's A Storm Holding Me Back.

According to my teacher, Thai kickboxers and kickboxers now do not spin 360 degrees but land in a 180 degree position.

How can I describe this better?

Do a Muay Thai round house kick and where you land your kick should be the same place that will allow you to just turn your body (without moving your legs) 180 and be in a standard fighting stance. But your in the opposite direction of your opponent. Basicaly... land your right foot a little farther than your left one.

This is what I described earlier in this thread. From here, you can counter with a hook kick, back kick, etc. back kick is most common.

I don't wanna disagree with you and start a flame, but everything I have read about Muay Thai, says that in almost all cases, if you miss you should spin 360, whether or not you use a backfist, elbow, etc. I think it should be each to his own, however you as an individual feel more comfortable, do it that way. Experiment with all the options first, you may be surprised by what your comfortable with.

There is no standard - it's merely personal preference. the reason you are reading that though, is NOT so you can counter with a spinning backfist, but so you can block. When you miss a kick, it's a good bet that he is firing a kick back at you. I addressed this earlier in the thread as well. when you complete the spin, you should complete it while doing a leg check from the original supporting leg. (if you kicked with the left, the right will check) When you stop the spin, you are more prone to getting hit by the kick.

According to my instructor you can, I'm not sure, he seems to really know what he is talking about, plus he Muay Thai Champion of The Orient as a Lightweight and Welterweight. So I would think he knows what he's talking about. Do some research on it, I will too, and post here if you find anything.

what's his name?

As far as rules go, in thai boxing, you can spinning backfist. In american and international rules kickboxing, you cannot. You can only hit with the front of the glove.