• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

After you miss a MT round house kick?

I've been taught that if you execute your thai kick correctly, you have no choice but to do the full spin if you miss. The only way that you wouldn't spin is if you hadn't committed to the kick to begin with.

The low thai kick is all about power, so if you commit to it, it should carry you through. Depending on the situation, immidiately after a missed right round kick I'll spin and then I'll knee up block with my left, and I'll make sure to guard my side and head with my left arm, and stick out my right glove out in front. Either that or I'll come around with a backfist.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't wanna disagree with you and start a flame, but everything I have read about Muay Thai, says that in almost all cases, if you miss you should spin 360, whether or not you use a backfist, elbow, etc. I think it should be each to his own, however you as an individual feel more comfortable, do it that way. Experiment with all the options first, you may be surprised by what your comfortable with.

I don't know, Master K, Master Toddy, Maser Sken, and many others have told me to never do the 360. Where are these sources that you read and please don't tell me they were by experts in a forum.

The back kick after you miss in the 180 or slightly pass the 180 was given, too. I have seen people get KTFO by spinning in the 360. For some crazy reason I never even had to be taught not to spin in the 360 but knew that it was bad to do unless I was doing it to throw a spinnng back kick/side kick/etc.

Please, go train under a qualified Muay Thai instructor and I think you will find out most, if not all will tell you not to do the 360 spin when you miss your target.

I've been taught that if you execute your thai kick correctly, you have no choice but to do the full spin if you miss. The only way that you wouldn't spin is if you hadn't committed to the kick to begin with.

The low thai kick is all about power, so if you commit to it, it should carry you through. Depending on the situation, immidiately after a missed right round kick I'll spin and then I'll knee up block with my left, and I'll make sure to guard my side and head with my left arm, and stick out my right glove out in front. Either that or I'll come around with a backfist.

the power comes from the torque of the hips and the cutting motion of the kick. you don't have to 360 to get the commitment.

the power comes from the torque of the hips and the cutting motion of the kick. you don't have to 360 to get the commitment.

Elbows and knees, you're a very nice guy with a lot of patience. I know you're getting frustrated by seeing everyone on this thread that thinks doing the 360 is better.

The 360 is the result of the committed kick, not the other way around. I'm just saying that's what I was taught.

• 2 weeks later...

i personally think a 360 spin would be a good idea... so dont miss :D

"Sword-Chucks yo."

Yes, thanks a lot guys.  Hey, kamasandsais, that was something that you knew that I did not!! 
<---blackmail hahahahhaha bushido

• 2 months later...

In the discussion about 360 vs 180 it could be pointed out that Bill Wallace used to knock people out with his front leg without any more than the power of the hip. He didnt even move 180. I would argue that the 360 is not nessisary for a powerfull strike. Energy is transmited from the hips to the leg not the other way around. Penitration past about 1-1.5 feet is superfulous.

I am in the school of the stop unless for some reason you are attempting to set something else up. Heck I frequently recock the leg. But then I do old school TKD so what can I know... :lol:

In the discussion about 360 vs 180 it could be pointed out that Bill Wallace used to knock people out with his front leg without any more than the power of the hip. He didnt even move 180. I would argue that the 360 is not nessisary for a powerfull strike. Energy is transmited from the hips to the leg not the other way around. Penitration past about 1-1.5 feet is superfulous.

you misunderstood what is being said. Once the thai kick is thrown, if it misses, some fighters have a tendency to continue the rotation a full 360 degrees, to put themselves in position to defend an incoming roundhouse, which is the usual follow up from your opponent. We are discussing the 360 and leg check vs a 180 and back kick.

I am in the school of the stop unless for some reason you are attempting to set something else up. Heck I frequently recock the leg. But then I do old school TKD so what can I know... :lol:

Hence the misunderstanding. muay thai does not cock or chamber the leg. the power generation is a little different.

In the discussion about 360

you misunderstood what is being said. Once the thai kick is thrown, if it misses, some fighters have a tendency to continue the rotation a full 360 degrees, to put themselves in position to defend an incoming roundhouse, which is the usual follow up from your opponent. We are discussing the 360 and leg check vs a 180 and back kick.

Hence the misunderstanding. muay thai does not cock or chamber the leg. the power generation is a little different.

I am aware you generate power differently. My point was only that it could be done without the 360, which I thought was yours elbows and knees.

JMO

Brad