• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

preperation

jiyaku-san

hello all,

i just found out recently that i will be going for my 1st dan black belt in August next year :o and wanted to know if any one had aany suggestions for training etc between now and then. i have about a year to train and i am being graded by the head of our organisation who is coming out from japan.

ps: im only 15

live by karate, live for karate, live karate...

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

My advice is to focus on kihon. Train hard and often with your katas. Something I hear from black belts after they take their tests, is that the senior black belts have told them when sparring to counter as soon as you block because many just block & move then counter. You may find your performance improve if you counter immediately after you block, or as you block.

Anyway, my two pennies.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

if you do shotokan is the person testing you hirokazu kanazawa or one of his equivalent students?? if so work hard i think the most important thing is to belive you will pass i have never failed a grading and am very proud of that fact i have never thought i was going to fail

The key to everything is continuity achieved by discipline.

i can't remember hi first(or is it the last?) name but his last name is takahashi. also thankyou for the tips cathal i havent had much sparring training because our old sensei didnt do any competition or anything so any tips for drills etc? i think i just need experience eg do more actual fighting. wile we are on the topic of sparring is there a way that i can train to kick faster?

live by karate, live for karate, live karate...

Obviously I can not directly comment on your school and the requirements. However my experience has shown that for Shotokan blackbelt tests particularly shodan... Kihon, Kata and kumite and all equally weighed. If there is any emphasis it is usually a point or two towards kata.

For Kihon, posture, determination, absolute focus and exactness are a key element.

For Kata, ah what can I say, total immersion, demonstrate not just the movements but the movement inbetween. Show you understand what you are doing. Have a "favorite" kata, practice it un-endingly, make it your obsession.

For Kumite, depending on the "rules" if any, go for broke. My shodan test kumite was against a Sandan, I made that test memorable. Fierceness, determination, cool calculated attacks and some skill thrown in too. :) Be relentless, non-tiring, and never flinch.

Training? you should be prepared physically pretty much by just regualr class work. Mentally, well, that's where the fun begins.

A years time is plenty to get ready.

if you do shotokan is the person testing you hirokazu kanazawa or one of his equivalent students?? if so work hard i think the most important thing is to belive you will pass i have never failed a grading and am very proud of that fact i have never thought i was going to fail

Kanazawa will be testing me when the tiem comes, unless things happen, then it'll be one of his "equivalents."