Open tournaments?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Open tournaments?

• Love them
    • Like them
    • They're okay
    • Don't like them, but will compete
    • Hate them

What do you all think of open tournments?

I went to one today that featured only karate styles. I beat a Shorin Ryu person round 2 (got a by first round) and lost to a ryobu-kai person.

Took second in kumite. I didn't place in kata.

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity."

"We must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

the only tournments ive been to were open

i really enjoyed them

one bad point though, is the judges

not that there is anythign wrong with them...

but their style background can affect their decisions

for instance i competed in a traditonal forms devision, and most of the judges were shorin ryu (sp), so the competetors that were of the same style tended to get higher scores

the bigger tournments do tend to do very well in creating good divisions however

with different ranks, sex's, ages, and types of style

in terms of sparring, there is usually point and continuous, devided with male/female, by age, rank, and if there are enough competetors weight as well

Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start. - Nido Qubein

I have been to open tournies (I'm going to one in Con on the 8th of Oct). My school does mainly closed tournies (just our three .. almost four .. schools), but this one is open.

Anyways, in TSD, I was in one that the judges "favored" their student. The one kid got kicked in the ... urm, groin area ... and they didn't take a point, but the other kid got a point for contact ... whatever. That is one reason I don't spar at tournies. I know if I screw up my breaks (or do good) 90% of the time, it's good. The same goes for forms. But then again, it could happen in anything, not just sparring. But it, more than likely, happens in sparring.

Laurie F

What do you all think of open tournments?

I went to one today that featured only karate styles. I beat a Shorin Ryu person round 2 (got a by first round) and lost to a ryobu-kai person.

Took second in kumite. I didn't place in kata.

Where was this tournament? I've been wanting to check one of these out but I don't know where they take place. I would've PM'd you but I need 25 posts to do so.

Thanks.

"I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times." --Bruce Lee

Where was this tournament? I've been wanting to check one of these out but I don't know where they take place. I would've PM'd you but I need 25 posts to do so.

Thanks.

This was in Gardena, hosted by Sensei Dan Sawyer and Sensei Richard Rabago.

"We must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men."

P.S.

You might want to check this site out if you're interested in tournaments in CA.

http://www.karatetournaments.com/uswest.htm

No problem... Hope to see you at a tournament sometime.