• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

In-Fighting techniques of Kyokushin

Superfoot

Close-in is where many Kyokushin karateka live. It would be a big mistake to assume we can't fight inside.

Or to fight us inside :brow:

Moon might shine upon the innocent and the guilty alike

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

As for Kyokushin giving up traditional teachings and focusing on K1 I have heard similar things but only in connection with one Kyokushin group and only in Japan. The rest of the world still follows that traditional path.

Osu!

Thanks god for that.

It will be a very sad day, the day, when a great fighting art such as kyokushinkai karate is turned into another kickboxing style sport, to fullfil some shallow commercial agenda.

Osu!

Use your time on an art that is worthwhile and not on a dozen irrelevant "ways".

Here where I live a local university hosts annual knock-down tourneys. A local dojo called world oyama hosts them. They claim to be an offshoot of kyokushin. I noticed in these tourneys that face contact with the hands was illegal. Several dojo's attended, is this a general rule for kyokushin tourneys? I'm curious because it seems that in fighting would a little more comfortable, without having to worry abaout hands to the head.

If at first you don't succeed, sky-diving is not for you.

As for Kyokushin giving up traditional teachings and focusing on K1 I have heard similar things but only in connection with one Kyokushin group and only in Japan. The rest of the world still follows that traditional path.

Osu!

Thanks god for that.

It will be a very sad day, the day, when a great fighting art such as kyokushinkai karate is turned into another kickboxing style sport, to fullfil some shallow commercial agenda.

Osu!

A little of topic but, knockdown tournaments serve several functions, the most obvious is to draw attention to the art by highlighting the organization's most talented fighters. It is little understood by most outsiders that all Kyokushin instructors are or at one time were themselves competitive fighters, much like all Marines are riflemen first and foremost. In this way the fighting spirit you noted is not diluted by diletante karate intructors who wax on about poetry and kata yet can't punch through a wet paper bag. The tournaments promote the art as well as cultivate the organization's people and ethos.

IKO1 u mean ????

Yes that is what I have heard. Without delving into the political situation too much it seems that Kancho Matsui is promoting the Ichigeki tournaments more and more. This may be in connection with having lost a recent court case but that is purely speculation on my part.

Getting back on topic I would like to know who thinks Kyokushin is not known for its infighting (except Politically :) ). One of the criticisms leveled at knockdown is that after a couple of rounds you would see two fighters head to head slugging it out in a battle of spirit. Is that not infighting? Of course that may have been true in the early days of knockdown but it has been refined so much as have training methods that we can still see good close fighting without fighters leaning on each other.

Lastly World Oyama Karate is an offshoot of Kyokushin and they have very similar knockdown rules - one of which is that you cannot make contact with the face or head with any part of the hand or arm.

Why is it, when all is said and done, that more is said than done - John Fitzgerald Kennedy

Osu!

Thanks god for that.

Osu!

A little of topic but, knockdown tournaments serve several functions, the most obvious is to draw attention to the art by highlighting the organization's most talented fighters. It is little understood by most outsiders that all Kyokushin instructors are or at one time were themselves competitive fighters, much like all Marines are riflemen first and foremost. In this way the fighting spirit you noted is not diluted by diletante karate intructors who wax on about poetry and kata yet can't punch through a wet paper bag. The tournaments promote the art as well as cultivate the organization's people and ethos.

My worry was that if this trend of just teaching only competition fighting - kickboxing? - had caught on ,then there wouldn't be an "art" to promote, or at least, THE art. The art of Kyokushinkai Karate, as created by Mas. Oyama, which did contain Katas and the rich array of techniques TOGETHER WITH Knock Down fighting.

Use your time on an art that is worthwhile and not on a dozen irrelevant "ways".

Yes , but it's just IKO1 that is promoting and participating in k-1 kickboxing events , the other IKOs have not changed their ways yet ( & I hope they never do ) , some of the kyokushin offshoots have become pure kickboxing or MMA while other offshoots are still pure karate , I guess it's all up to "the kancho"

Moon might shine upon the innocent and the guilty alike

My worry was that if this trend of just teaching only competition fighting - kickboxing? - had caught on ,then there wouldn't be an "art" to promote, or at least, THE art. The art of Kyokushinkai Karate, as created by Mas. Oyama, which did contain Katas and the rich array of techniques TOGETHER WITH Knock Down fighting.

Perhaps everyone's confusing IKO 1 with Seido Kaikan (not to be confused with Nakamura's Seido Karate-both Kyokushin spin-offs). Seido Kaikan is the promotor of K-1, you can find picures of Bob Sapp in dogi doing their beach training. Seido Karate is a kinder, gentler version of karate.