• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

In-Fighting techniques of Kyokushin

Superfoot

A while back I read a thread in which a Kyokushin practitioner stated that in-fighting (stand-up fighting at close range) was fundamental to Jissen Kumite (Full Contact Sparring).

I was wondering if anyone could elaborate on this, given that some people (who possibly may have not studied Kyokushin) state that one of Kyokushin's weakness' is the LACK of in-fighting. I also watched a video of Sensei Kenji Midori on the Japanese sport show "Nanda" demonstrating an in-fighting technique, where he avoided a low-kick by stepping inside of the opponents attack and using an uppercut to the body. I was just curious as to how far in-fighting is taught in kyokushin. I understand that there is a rule in knockdown whereby you cannot immediately step out of range after delivering a strike. Is this a reason to teaching in-fighting?

Can anyone give me some popular examples used in Kumite? I would be very grateful.

Thanx

Perfect Practice makes Perfect.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

never studied kyoukushin myself, but I admire the heck out of it. I know that I teach my Shotokan students a lot of in-fighting, actually I'd say that about 85-90% of our combat is in-fighting. we work it right out of the kata, I feel it's more effective than long range fighting.

You can become a great fighter without ever becoming a martial artist, but no sir, you can not become a great martial artist with out becoming a great fighter. To fight is most certainly not the aim of any true martial art, but they are fighting arts all the same. As martial artists, we must stand ready to fight, even if hoping that such conflict never comes.

-My response to a fellow instructor, in a friendly debate

I understand that there is a rule in knockdown whereby you cannot immediately step out of range after delivering a strike. Is this a reason to teaching in-fighting?

Can anyone give me some popular examples used in Kumite? I would be very grateful.

Thanx

As far as I know (and I could be mistaken) there are no such rules in kyokushin. You are not allowed to avoid your opponent by moving away from him continously, but that is another thing. Dodging is allowed :P

The happiness of a man in this life does not consist in the absence,

but in the mastery of his passions.

Alfred, Lord Tennyson

most of the kyokushin fundamentals can be seen in K1 fighting tournaments...

I get my information from studying and working with kyokushin karate over here in Japan for the last 3 years.

My friends tell me that the style has given up on many of the traditional teachings and focus solely on K1 fighting. No more kata, pressure points, breaking, weapons...and so forth, only full contact sparring of the very basics that you can see on tv.

I train with the Japanese champion Kohi and his school.

That which does not destroy me will only make me stronger

I understand that there is a rule in knockdown whereby you cannot immediately step out of range after delivering a strike. Is this a reason to teaching in-fighting?

Thanx

As far as I know (and I could be mistaken) there are no such rules in kyokushin. You are not allowed to avoid your opponent by moving away from him continously, but that is another thing. Dodging is allowed :P

Yes, I meant something similar to that. I read once on a rule sheet that "hit-and-run" tactics are not allowed, i.e you cannot throw a seiken-tsuki, back up a few feet, and keep doing this throughout the match. This is the rule sheet taken from Kyokushinmail.com. I think they are the rules used in IKO.

F. Fouls (Hansoku)

The following actions are considered fouls:

a) Touching the opponent’s face and neck even slightly with a hand or elbow attack. However, making feints to the face is allowed.

b) Groin kicks (Kin-teki)

c) Head thrusts (zu-tsuki)

d) Attacking an opponent who is already down

e) Grabbing the opponent’s neck

g) Grabbing and holding the opponent's uniform (dogi), arms and legs

h) Pushing with open hands

i) Such repeated actions as falling down and stepping out right after kicking or punching one’s opponent

j) Stepping outside the area frequently

k) Any other actions that the referees may regard as foul

Excluding deliberate actions, fouls result in one warning

Taken from http://www.kyokushinmail.com/kshin_competition.html

Such repeated actions as falling down and stepping out right after kicking or punching one’s opponent

It appears that the rule you high-lighted refers to stepping out of bounds after an attack(illegal), as oppossed to stepping out of range(legal).

Kyokushin Knockdown fighting has evolved over the years. In the 70s a lot of non japanese karateka were only competing in Sanbon Shobu rules. With the advent of knockdown worldwide a lot of the early fights were still fought at range moving in and out. The Japanese fighters tended to get in close and work from there constantly moving forward and pressuring thier opponents.

In the 80s Knockdown became a lot more technical. The japanese adopted dome of the foreign fighters attributes and vice versa.

In the 90s it has become much more infighting (so whoever said that was a weakness of Kyokushin is wrong). Most of the infighting techniques would be shita tsuki, Kake tsuki and hiza geri.

I know in the past that hit and run fighters suffered at the hands of Japanese referees as they considered moving forward all the time to be the correct way. But look at the likes of Michael Thompson and his fantastic footwork. He would move in and out and score setting up his opponent for a knockout.

As for Kyokushin giving up traditional teachings and focusing on K1 I have heard similar things but only in connection with one Kyokushin group and only in Japan. The rest of the world still follows that traditional path.

Osu!

Why is it, when all is said and done, that more is said than done - John Fitzgerald Kennedy

Such repeated actions as falling down and stepping out right after kicking or punching one’s opponent

It appears that the rule you high-lighted refers to stepping out of bounds after an attack(illegal), as oppossed to stepping out of range(legal).

When you say "bounds" do you mean the competition area? Because I think that is rule "j)". I was under the impression the rule I highlighted, where it said stepping out right after striking referred to literally throwing a strike and then moving out of your opponents striking range.

Bloke: Not to bring this off-topic but what is Shita-Tsuki?

Yes , i assume that by bounds he means the competition area , I have never heard of such a rulle myself , and as what has been said b4 , most of kyokushin fighting is close range fighting .

As for Kyokushin giving up traditional teachings and focusing on K1 I have heard similar things but only in connection with one Kyokushin group and only in Japan. The rest of the world still follows that traditional path.

IKO1 u mean ????

Moon might shine upon the innocent and the guilty alike

When you say "bounds" do you mean the competition area? Because I think that is rule "j)". I was under the impression the rule I highlighted, where it said stepping out right after striking referred to literally throwing a strike and then moving out of your opponents striking range.

Bloke: Not to bring this off-topic but what is Shita-Tsuki?

Yes, the competition area. No points scored off the mat or when the opponent is on the ground.

Shita-Tsuki is like a a boxer's upper-cut, but your fist is driven forward into the mid-section not the chin. Other kyokushin close-in fighting techniques include gedan mawashi geri, hiza geri, and kagi tsuki, as Bloke mentioned. Close-in is where many Kyokushin karateka live. It would be a big mistake to assume we can't fight inside.