• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Refugee training

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Well, actually, considering you didn't discuss with him what exactly constitutes a year... i think it is a bit premature to jump to the conclusion it is that much.

But, regardless, they should have allowed you and your family to study for free for a month or two, under the circumstances. I can say very little about the health of the owner... other than it is grave.

Definitely move on and find a different place. Some place where money doesn't dominate their conscience.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

As you know, my family and I are "displaced citizens" (the politically correct word for refugee). We evacuated the New Orleans area on Saturday August 27th. We are now in a small town about 25 miles from home.

My two kids and I practice WTF TaeKwonDo and still want to go to training, so last week we visited and worked out with a TaeKwonDo Plus school in this area. We enjoyed the class even though it was not the WTF style we practice. The instructor and students were very nice and courtious to us. After class the instructor called the owner, who said that we can train with them while we are in exile (4 - 8 weeks), but we would have to join the ITA and pay for a full year (about $2,500 for all three of us) and each drop a rank (we are black belts).

I'm out of work right now, looking to apply for food stamps, unemployment, FEMA and Red Cross aid.

Thanks for nothing buddy! :kaioken:

That bites. What area are you in? I know a lot of ATA schools that have basically opened their doors to people wishing to train. The forms are different, but a lot of the techniques are the same. If you let me know where you ended up, I might be able to point you to a local school. :D

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

Thanks Adohan, but I think we found a place that is just right. This school does point sparring, not the WTF style we are used to, but thay are wonderful people. The owner-master instructor is the kindest of gentlemen, and very knowledgable (he probably even knows how to spell knowledgable correctly!). He has spent a lot of time working with Shannon and Ross over the past three days we've been there. His students are very respectable, and very talented.

Last night when Shannon came home from TKD she was laughing with Ross. My wife said it was so good to hear her laugh again. She hadn't laughed like that since before we evacuated. I think being in this environment is helping her get her mind off the evacuation and relocating. She is doing something that is "normal" to her, even though its a different style. She sparred for two hours tonight and LOVED it.

But, thanks again Adohan for your offer to help locate a school.

when you create the world's largest trailer park, you're going to have tornadoes

WE are still enjoying our time at the LaPlace Academy of Martial Arts. The instructor is helping us refine our Chun-Ji forms and has taught us a kama kata, first time ever I even held a kama. We've done some sparring and last Saturday he let me teach a two hour class on Hapkido to his students. We all had a great time. I promised him I'd make a CD with all my techniques and combinations.

I also asked about tuition and he said he wasn't charging me, but when it was time to leave I could drop a donation in the box for what ever I felt I want to donate. That's plenty fair enough in my book.

when you create the world's largest trailer park, you're going to have tornadoes