• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Refugee training

As you know, my family and I are "displaced citizens" (the politically correct word for refugee). We evacuated the New Orleans area on Saturday August 27th. We are now in a small town about 25 miles from home.

My two kids and I practice WTF TaeKwonDo and still want to go to training, so last week we visited and worked out with a TaeKwonDo Plus school in this area. We enjoyed the class even though it was not the WTF style we practice. The instructor and students were very nice and courtious to us. After class the instructor called the owner, who said that we can train with them while we are in exile (4 - 8 weeks), but we would have to join the ITA and pay for a full year (about $2,500 for all three of us) and each drop a rank (we are black belts).

I'm out of work right now, looking to apply for food stamps, unemployment, FEMA and Red Cross aid.

Thanks for nothing buddy! :kaioken:

when you create the world's largest trailer park, you're going to have tornadoes

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I would make a written complaint to the ITA organization itself. I believe some of the higher DAN ranks live near NOLA. I bet they would like to hear about that owner's attitude.

And if they (the ITA) are condoning that type of behavior among their owners, it says quite alot about how they view Taekwondo.

Even though you are not ATA, if you can find a local ATA Taekwondo school, I know that many of the school owners are extending their schools to any "displaced citizens".

Best of luck to you

Jeff

I'm sorry to hear you and your family are being treated this way. This is one of those situations where upon further reflection, the owner or ITA, or whoever made this decision, will likely see the error in their ways and reverse course at a later date.

However, that being said, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting. I would start looking around for other options. Twenty-five hundred is a lot of jack, especially for someone who just went through a life altering catastrophe. :(

Kicks, aren't you a 4th dan? Why would they drop you for something out of your control? That really sucks. I mean if you were truely looking to change styles, that's one thing, but dude, you lost your home. All they can think about is money?!?!?! I'd find another place to train.

Laurie F

Kicks, aren't you a 4th dan? Why would they drop you for something out of your control? That really sucks. I mean if you were truely looking to change styles, that's one thing, but dude, you lost your home. All they can think about is money?!?!?! I'd find another place to train.

Yes, both Ross and I are 4th dans, and Shannon is a 2nd dan. Ross wasn't too upset with the dropping a rank because he knows that many MA school (no matter what style or organization) do not allow someone his age to be that high a level. To him, rank is no big deal. He is only interested in perfecting his skill, learning more, and sharing it with fellow students. Shannon was bummed out, she's supposed to start testing for 3rd dan this December with her final test in June 2006.

I based the $2,500 fee on the fact that I know a TaeKwonDo Plus school around my house that charges $70 per student. Since this is a franchise (McDojo) I'm guessing they all charge the same fee. I could be wrong. I didn't discuss money with the guy.

Oh, tkdkid, I didn't lose my house. Most of the lost homes were either outside the levee system, or inside and got flooded when the levees breached. My house is on the opposite side of where the 17th Street Canal levee breached. Flooding from rain waters only reached my door step. I was lucky because several of my neighbors did get water inside their homes. I sustained some roof damage, exterior wall damage, and downed fences and trees. Then with the loss of power, a whole frig full of food (smelly!!!!! :dead: ).

Tomorrow (Monday) we are invited to attend another Taekwondo school in this area. They seem very interested in have three black belts from a different organization train with them and exchange knowledge. They also want to help storm victims and refugees. It's a small school, but seems like a nice place to be.

when you create the world's largest trailer park, you're going to have tornadoes

good luck in this hopefully better school that was way out of order by the other school when some comman curtacy was needed to help people maintain training in a time of need.

The key to everything is continuity achieved by discipline.