• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

heian ohio?

SenseiMike

any one know the roots of this kata? I really know almost zero about it, other than it looks great!! :) I think it translates into peceful morning, but that could be wrong.

You can become a great fighter without ever becoming a martial artist, but no sir, you can not become a great martial artist with out becoming a great fighter. To fight is most certainly not the aim of any true martial art, but they are fighting arts all the same. As martial artists, we must stand ready to fight, even if hoping that such conflict never comes.

-My response to a fellow instructor, in a friendly debate

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Ohayou means "good morning" (as in a greeting, not a morning that is good).

Unless it is some funny way of spelling "peaceful, good morning," I am unsure what it means.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

But anyone know where this kata came from, info about it online is rare, and when I do find something, it's in a dif language. It's considerably more advanced than any of the other heian kata, I'd rank it about sandan level bsed on what I've seen.

You can become a great fighter without ever becoming a martial artist, but no sir, you can not become a great martial artist with out becoming a great fighter. To fight is most certainly not the aim of any true martial art, but they are fighting arts all the same. As martial artists, we must stand ready to fight, even if hoping that such conflict never comes.

Sandan level? You think so?

I'm not so sure...

All I've seen is some video I just downloaded off the internet, and that was broken down into segments and bunkai.

It looks to me like it could be a made-up kata where the instructor took varying concepts and moves from the different heian kata and put them together. I've never heard of it before just now...

Edit: Yeah, yeah, I know a kata is as advanced as the person doing it...but to say it is a sandan level kata (or even shodan?) seems a bit extreme in my opinion. Ranks being subjective, the statement is even more fuzzy.

I have seen this form in competion one time, it was for the ISKA and it was on tv, dont by a Casey Marks, i wouldnt say that it was a Sandan level either, maybe neidan, or not even that maybe, but it is a pretty form

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

I've only seen it once, maybe it was just the way it was performed that made it seem so advanced.

Do you maen Heain oyo?

This is a kata made up from all the Heian Katas, its very long and quite tiring to perform. It was invented by Sensei Kase (9th dan?) for his own Shotokan offshoot/association (shotokan Rya Kase ha).

My sensei learnt this from Kase (who recently died). Although it is not officially part of our standard Shotokan syllabus, he teaches it to black belt students out of respect for Sensei kase so the kata wont be lost.

EDIT: Although its made up from all the heians, all Zenkutsu dachi moves are done in Fudo dachi!!!

Edited by wyx

That seems like it. I've seen it on the web as "Heian Ohio", but that was in another language.

Edit: Good info. (So...originally I typed "Goof info"...oops)

Edited by Shorin Ryuu