• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Training in Kobe

Ken Po

It's been a long time since I've trained in Karate. Recent training has all been Chinese Kung Fu. Now I have the opportunity to go to Japan for a week so I was wondering what was available in Kobe. Any recommendations?

I'd like to pick up an interesting kata. I've forgotten my old Kenpo and Shotokan stuff.

• 2 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I couldn't find an Enshin dojo in Kobe on their website (only Osaka and Kyoto), but Ashihara's English website lists a Kobe dojo but without contact information. If you can read Japanese I would suggest looking at Ashihara's Japanese website to get contact information on their Kobe dojo.

There should be a Shotokan, Kyokushin, and a Wado dojo both in Kobe. But contact info may be hard to find.

You can become a great fighter without ever becoming a martial artist, but no sir, you can not become a great martial artist with out becoming a great fighter. To fight is most certainly not the aim of any true martial art, but they are fighting arts all the same. As martial artists, we must stand ready to fight, even if hoping that such conflict never comes.

-My response to a fellow instructor, in a friendly debate

For reasons of liability, expenses, language barriers, etc. I would not recommend popping in to a dojo for just a class or two. Many dojo will gladly welcome a visiting student, particularly one who brings a letter of introduction from an affiliated dojo. So if you're a member of JKA, Kyokushin or whatever, it is a very simple matter to find a place to train.

If you're out of the loop, so to speak, you may be asked to pay the initiation fee and sign up for at least the minimum period.

My recommendation is to get a good guide book and enjoy your one week holiday or business trip.

good point Meguro

You can become a great fighter without ever becoming a martial artist, but no sir, you can not become a great martial artist with out becoming a great fighter. To fight is most certainly not the aim of any true martial art, but they are fighting arts all the same. As martial artists, we must stand ready to fight, even if hoping that such conflict never comes.

-My response to a fellow instructor, in a friendly debate

Thanks Mike. I don't wish to discourage anyone from training. It's just that training on a whim, eg. slipping it between business meetings or sightseeing, particularly when someone has not been training consistently, might have some unwanted consequences.

Personally, I think you should just go for it. Give it a try! You might bump into someone interesting and it would be a unique experience. But the advice to take care of yourself when abroad is a good idea too. If the training looks unsafe, just bow out and excuse yourself.

I'd just hate for you to miss out on an opportunity just for being overly timid.

Enjoy!

Mark

See how karate is done in Japan.

http://www.karatethejapaneseway.com

mark@karatethejapaneseway.com

Thanks for the comments. That's the whole point, going to Japan and back without picking up anything when there may be some quality instruction availabe in the area.

I'll be visiting a friend who's been there a couple of years and is currrently teaching Chinese MA. He's not particularly interested in Japanese MA so may not be aware of what exactly is in his area.

I was hoping someone deeply involved with JMA might be able to point out someone in the area to look up. Unfortunately I'm not a member of any JMA systems these days. I've spent the last 15 years in CMA.

I know when I go to China I can get recommendations in the different areas and was hoping the Japanese were the same but I forgot the extent of formality in the JMA. Not that it isn't there in CMA.