• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

higher than thou...

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I think a lot more practice goes into developing the spinning/flying kick in tae kwon do, but I have seen many karate pratitioners do 360s, flying/jumping kicks, etc. Tae kwon do is known for its flashy, high-flying kicks.

1st dan Tae Kwon Do

Yellow Belt Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

16 Years Old

Girls kick butt!

The styles of Taekwondo and karate are pretty much the same but with different emphasis on different aspects.

A lot of emphasis is put on jumping and spinning kicks in TKD, but there are just as many flying kicks in each style.

Freestyle karate, Karate, Korean karate, Taekwondo. They are all pretty undefined due to evolution and i'm yet to go to two clubs that claim to teach the same style which actually do.

Bretty

I think that this can be basically summed up to say that both Karate and TKD will teach the High, Spinning kicks, but that TKD has a greater emphasis of using and teaching these kicks.

Jack

Currently 'off' from formal MA training

KarateForums.com

Yea I would have to agree that modern karate (and especially karate schools which prepare students for kata as well as kumite competitions) has acquired more focus on fancy jumping/flying/spinning etc. kicking techniques not too much unlike that of tkd.

Also I think that many many other styles do contain and teach flying or spinning kicks as well, but it is most often in sport-oriented karate and tkd where it is emphasized and practiced most.

'Conviction is a luxury for those on the sidelines'

William Parcher, 'A BEAUTIFUL MIND'

What the?? TKD has way more high/spinning/jumping kicks in it than karate... If anything karate stresses the use of basics over the fancy spins and all that... The freestyle karate i do now doesn't even teach flying kicks at all!!

Angus :karate: :up:

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear.